Author Topic: Growing Gherkin  (Read 1620 times)

rutters

• Half Acre
Growing Gherkin
« on: July 27, 2020, 14:31:29 »
Hi all

Bought some Vert Petit de Paris Gherkin seeds and they are growing really well.

Just wondering if there is something I should be doing like pinching out or cutting back.

No instructions on the packet!

Thanks
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Growing Gherkin
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 16:47:01 »
Once I've put them in the ground, in the greenhouse, I just let them be..

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 16:53:57 »
Same here - though I do tend to find I either get a glut or sod all. I've had one so far this year - hoping to have another go at fermented gherkins again this year, even the Polish rellie said they were delicious, and she should know a bit about the things!

Unfortunately I've room for either ghurkas or cucucucumbers in the greenhouse, but not both without kicking tomatoes or salads out...

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 18:19:37 »
Same here - though I do tend to find I either get a glut or sod all. I've had one so far this year - hoping to have another go at fermented gherkins again this year, even the Polish rellie said they were delicious, and she should know a bit about the things!

Unfortunately I've room for either ghurkas or cucucucumbers in the greenhouse, but not both without kicking tomatoes or salads out...

Adrian

I grow LIDL's Restina and they go outside. The seed is cheap (47p for 34 seeds iirc) Simply put plants out Ist week of June to a tripod of 8@ 8ft canes , tie in regularly, water at first.
 I have previously vinegar pickled with fennel and dill.They become quite chunky if missed at picking, I split them into 4 quadrants and pickle as usual. Have remained crisp into the second year. 1 jar remains from 2018 ! Have collected a quantity of Douewe Egberts coffee jars (8oz.), which have glass stoppers and polyseals, which are ideal.
 Would be interested in learning if you ferment other than in a brine. Any additional ingredients used?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 18:31:14 by ancellsfarmer »
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 19:06:48 »
Just pickled a jar today.  The plants just do their thing - I climb them up a trellis but others just let them trail on the ground.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

rutters

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 19:32:57 »
Thanks so much for the replies :happy7:

Glad I didn't have to worry about side-shoots or male flowers or such-like
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 22:00:14 »
Heaven only knows wbhere the recipe is (there are many online) - but it's mostly brine, with some horseradish leaves as far as I remember. Only trouble is that they need to be refrigerated afterwards, and they do take up space... but not for long!
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 07:36:54 »
Our recipe... from good housekeeping Circa 1970... says keep them in the fridge once bottled for upto three months... but will keep for a year if you do get a glut! The only tricksie bit is rinsing after salting.. if you don't do it properly the finished product can be too salty!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal