Author Topic: garden sprayer comtamination  (Read 3349 times)

lezelle

• Acre
garden sprayer comtamination
« on: July 05, 2020, 10:54:02 »
Hi Ya, I have a hozelock 5 litre sprayer. I used it 3/4 years ago for roundup weed killer. I have stopped using weed killer and thought I could use the sprayer for other jobs, ie runner bean flowers, I put some water in the sprayer and luckily used it on a bit of waste grass. The weed killer is still in the item and killed the grass. I gave the sprayer a good wash out and tried it again and again it killed the grass. I have only ever used it for weeding but does any one have any suggestions as to how to clean it and what to use. I thought of using hot soapy water but will it work? if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the advice very much. Cheers

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: garden sprayer comtamination
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 11:55:33 »
You need to triple rinse the container before using it for anything else, this is the industry standard and it works, you can get a tank cleaner from most agri chemical suppliers but triple rinsing including the the line and wand works just as well.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 15:24:16 »
Hi Ya, Cheers hippydave, I have rinsed it twice already so am surprised it was still contaminated. Will give it another go as I admit I did not completely fill it just a bottle full and swished it about. Will go again with your advice and try it. Cheers

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 19:07:17 »
Try some Fullers earth in the rinse water. When we used to spray for the council we carried a small bag of fullers earth that we were supposed to eat if we were stupid enough to get the roundup in our mouths. It will neutralize the chemicals. Muddy water will do the same.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 22:17:04 »
Roundup or paraquat? Roundup is technically non-toxic (though the green lobby dispute this  very strongly).
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 06:07:10 »
Hi Ya, Definitely roundup with glysophate, when I read up on it I stopped using it and left the sprayer on the shelf. That was quite a while ago now. I will give extra rinses and try the muddy water. Cheers

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 21:48:25 »
Sorry, that was a query for Ace, should have been clearer!
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 20:51:53 »
Hi Ya, Definitely roundup with glysophate, when I read up on it I stopped using it and left the sprayer on the shelf. That was quite a while ago now. I will give extra rinses and try the muddy water. Cheers

Dont use muddy water it just end up blocking the filter or the nozzle just use clean water and it do  the job just fine, pump the clean water throught the wand too take sure that's clean preferably onto some weeds and not down the drain.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal