Author Topic: Potato Peelings grow in our Compost Heap and Wormery  (Read 1941 times)

shambasarfi

• Quarter Acre
  • Growing vegetables in our back garden
Potato Peelings grow in our Compost Heap and Wormery
« on: June 10, 2020, 12:46:40 »
Potato peelings did not seem to be eaten by our worms so I've stopped adding them there and have been only putting them in the compost bin.  However a lot of the eyes in the peel start to grow so can I use these and try and grow potatoes from them?
When a man tries to drown his sorrows he generally makes his head swim!

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Re: Potato Peelings grow in our Compost Heap and Wormery
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 09:11:55 »
Potatoes grow from nothing just about anywhere I think.  I made the mistake of adding rotten shop bought tomatoes to the compost in the winter months.  When hte compost was turned out to the border, I had a plethora of tomato plants all over the place.  HUNDREDS of them. :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 10:07:31 »
If the eyes are growing then the "shoot" can be planted and will grow as normal... I agree T/C tomatoes are officially a weed in our lotties... not helped by me throwing any with Blossom End rot out of the Poly and greenhouse into the brassica/potato beds..

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 10:52:24 »
This reminds me of when I worked on a Sewage Plant many years ago!

As you may be aware the human digestive system cannot digest tomato seeds and as a result these travel down the sewers and often germinate in the sludge drying beds!

I regularly harvested the tomatoes and as an aside mushrooms were also quite plentiful so these plus a rasher of bacon made for a good FOC breakfast!

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 11:03:02 »
It’s how my grandfather grew them . Last year I put eaten sweet corn cobs into the hotbin composter , the next time I lifted the lid each cob looked like a green hedgehog spines/shoots 2 inches long.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 21:55:47 »
I regularly harvested the tomatoes and as an aside mushrooms were also quite plentiful so these plus a rasher of bacon made for a good FOC breakfast!

Just so long as you don't get the bacon from the same source...
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 11:57:10 »
Actually, I've just realised, planting the eyes from potato peelings was how Dad, RIP, started in gardening when he was tiny.
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal