Author Topic: Handsome visitor  (Read 1914 times)

mormor

• Half Acre
Handsome visitor
« on: June 23, 2020, 05:53:03 »
A male pheasant has moved into our allotments. What is he likely to eat of our delicious fruit and veg.? He’s very handsome but I fear what he might be eating!
near Copenhagen, Denmark

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Handsome visitor
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 06:41:59 »
We always have them on our plots, they don't do a lot of damage, but they do like caterpillars and snails. I just lay a net on my newly planted stuff for a few weeks to stop them scratching out seeds.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 07:45:51 »
A new rash of strange posts this morning I see, all with links but no comments... don't think I'll bother to click on them!!!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 08:59:29 »
Worst aspect is that they love a dust bath, and create a crater about 18" dia./3" deep! May not be so much a problem now its rained but they are not content with one. Different day different dust bath. Netting almost everywhere!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 12:35:27 »
We have had pheasants every year.  Not a lot of damage if any, but the occasional egg, they like to lay eggs on mulch.  I can be working away and quite close are these chicken noises when a pheasant is approaching.  When the rhubarb is in full growth, they love going underneath that area.  One winter we counted 12 and may have missed a few, including a black pheasant.  They are also hilarious when they hop onto the bird table and help themselves to bird food or when they sit on a fence. 

All in all they are fun rather than do damage, nothing like rabbits or deer.  :wave:

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 14:46:58 »
We have a resident fox on our site.  A Pheasant would not last long.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 21:31:34 »
You'd be surprised - one year our allotments had a wascally wabbit and Brer Fox set up home on opposite sides of the same derelict plot, and happily co-existed for months!
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 12:24:18 »
A male pheasant has moved into our allotments. What is he likely to eat of our delicious fruit and veg.? He’s very handsome but I fear what he might be eating!
We have a few pheasants that wander around our garden.  They have a safe sanctuary here as they would be shot if they went elsewhere in our village.  I have never seen them do any damage but I do have plastic netting around some of my raised beds. That is to stop our cats from digging up some of my young vegetables. I have never seen the pheasants on the raised beds as they seem to prefer the grass.  I can watch them on my CCTV screen and yesterday one of the female pheasants chased a neighbours cat down our drive and off the premises.  She is only half the size of the male pheasant who was about 20 feet behind her and not involved in the chase.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal