Author Topic: Leaf drop  (Read 3087 times)

Joolieeee

• Quarter Acre
Leaf drop
« on: June 21, 2020, 10:50:33 »
I'm having a disaster. Having successfully removed a creature which has been identified as beneficial, I've got aphids and sprayed with soap solution. Leaves are now dropping off, so I presume my solution was too strong.

Is it done for, or might it recover? Anything I can do, other than giving it to someone else who clearly won't kill it like I am succeeding in doing??
I am an idiot  :BangHead:
Joolieeee

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Leaf drop
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 11:13:44 »
Soapy water also kills the good guys.

Give the plant a good rinse using the spray nozzle on your hosepipe or watering can to clean off any residue and then check daily for aphids and just squish with your fingers until you see the good guys coming back to eat them.
Obxx - Vendée France

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 11:14:51 »
Soapy water also kills the good guys.

Give the plant a good rinse using the spray nozzle on your hosepipe or watering can to clean off any residue and then check daily for aphids and just squish with your fingers until you see the good guys coming back to eat them.

If you don't like, or can't do, regular squishing you can make a garlic spray to deter aphids without harming beneficial insects.
Obxx - Vendée France

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 11:16:13 »
Without pics it is impossible to say but I expect it is a goner.  You might be lucky and get some new growth but of course it will seriously slow down any fruiting..
I have seen a few pics posted to FB of the same thing recently - be very careful how much you use or preferably don't spray with anything..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Joolieeee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 12:05:19 »
Thanks both, I'll give a rinse and hope for the best. Shame as my chillis were a good size (last photo) before I decided to murder it. All about learning 😒
Joolieeee

Joolieeee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 18:58:01 »
Pleased to report that both my chilli and the bell pepper survived, slower growth as suggested, but healthy  and producing fruit, so thanks for the advice
Joolieeee

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 20:32:16 »
Good news!
Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 08:22:06 »
Glad to hear it. always hard to wait out that first aphid attack but the good guys usually win.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal