Author Topic: Polytunnel Zipper  (Read 2427 times)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Polytunnel Zipper
« on: June 17, 2020, 15:30:12 »
Yet another stupid question to try the patience of the saintly that frequent this great forum.

I've had my polytunnel for 4 years now. Its done well. I remove the cover in October and repkace in April. But now one of the zippers is broken. The teeth no longer mesh. The metal thingy that runs up and down and knits them seems OK but the zip dies not close.

QUESTION: If I am careful, would it be possible to remove the old zipper and replace? I'm fairly good with the Frister Rossman, and if I use a fairly fine needle......? If this is a possibility, should I put the zip straight back in place, or would it be better to try to reinforce the edges with an adhesive duct-tape or similar before sewing the new zip in?   :wave:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Polytunnel Zipper
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 08:46:22 »
Definitely worth a go, other possibility might be using self adhesive 'velcro' tape, which is often available from Lidl. Alternatively, loops of bale twine or boot lace to tie it closed.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 08:57:17 »
Having just got a new poly with zips, most of the reviews complained about zips packing up I shall invest in a tarp grommet kit and ball clips to put in before mine breaks

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 11:04:05 »
Don't like the idea of zippers on polytunnels... will have to check carefully when replacing mine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal