Author Topic: new poly tunnel  (Read 3321 times)

ACE

• Hectare
new poly tunnel
« on: June 17, 2020, 13:35:55 »
It came today, will put it up tomorrow. My last one got wrecked last winter. Extra anchors made to fix it in place and still plenty of time to use it this season. I did not replace it straight away because I was not in the right mood what with all the afflictions  I was suffering at the time. Then when I did think about getting a new one the price went through the roof because there was a shortage with suppliers not trading and the ones that were doubled and even trebled the price. Anyway they came down to pre corvid days last week. Cheap at seventy beer tokens and a metre longer than my last one.

Hector

• Hectare
Re: new poly tunnel
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 15:06:29 »
What are you planning to plant? Glad you got sorted. My tunnel is my wee refuge....never mind for plants. Got an old recliner in there
Jackie

picman

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 19:12:21 »
My 15 x 10 Ft tunnel is anchored on 8 concrete blocks, with 1 metre metal builders 'pins' in each corner, this year keeping it cool has been the big problem , i wont mention the ants ..1st year made lots of mistakes, plants too close, and too little watering.

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 07:52:52 »
My 15 x 10 Ft tunnel is anchored on 8 concrete blocks, with 1 metre metal builders 'pins' in each corner, this year keeping it cool has been the big problem , i wont mention the ants ..1st year made lots of mistakes, plants too close, and too little watering.

I think we all do the cramming in too much in the first year! It's an easy mistake to make due to our enthusiam!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 11:01:59 »
Excellent ACE, I have been reducing some old Damson trees behind mine as they are splitting and shedding large branches.. they are at least 60 years old, possibly 100. The self sets I didn't take out are now cropping well so they can go...  It does mean I can get a much bigger polytunnel this year... rather than just replace the cover. That was scandalous profiteering you saw there. It saddens me though when newbies buy cheap ones and they collapse in a light breeze...

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 11:08:52 »
A good polytunnel supplier will offer the option of putting vents in the side - the clamping method is simple and effective but I would definitely recommend using the same technique to put vents in the roof instead and use mesh doors in place of the lower vents (this means you can still bury the 2 sides of the cover - much simpler).

A hole above your head allows the hot air to build up some momentum on the way out. It's not beyond the wit of man or woman to add an automatic vent lifter.

At some point I might use some old 5L olive oil cans to make hot solar chimneys like the ones that cool Portcullis House next to Parliament - except obviously with a clear roof they should be positioned above the N side wherever that is.

Why didn't they use this method for the BM atrium? - or maybe they did and it's hidden...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal