Produce > Wildlife forum

Birds and Butterflies

(1/1)

lavenderlux:
This has been a fantastic year for breeding birds on our allotment site;  we have several nest boxes and at least two near our community buildings (where we have feeders) were used by blue tits and the young are now themselves eating at the suet blocks and fat balls.  Blackbirds nearby raised at least three young.  Long tail tits also have several young and visiting the feeders.  Sparrows also very successful.  Robins got into a nearby shed and made a nest in a bag hanging up and raised six young. 
We've had lots of butterflies too, currently I am 'guardian' to some Peacock butterfly caterpillars, I first noted hundreds of tiny black caterpillars - in a web - on nettles on one of car parks about two weeks ago, so I have protected them with a wire tree guard, some have been lost but we still think there's over 150 now large and healthy looking caterpillars.  We hope they will continue to develop and we're looking forward to some beautiful Peacock Butterflies in late July.

saddad:
Excellent... we have had quite a range including small blues and Brimstones... not to mention Cinnibar moths...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version