Author Topic: We have rain  (Read 9524 times)

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
Re: We have rain
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2020, 11:35:47 »
All week we have been watching the thunder storms ( on radar) come West and veer north over the Bristol Channel within miles of us. On Wednesday we watched one come within about 100 yards of us and miss us, same thing yesterday. We need rain!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 11:39:44 by Redalder »

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2020, 12:05:00 »
Dry as a bone here in Derbyshire....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2020, 06:47:45 »
Dry as a bone in Lincolnshire too. The forecast rain keeps shifting a day later. Now forecast for Sunday. We’ll see. .....

pumkinlover

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2020, 08:31:09 »
Same here I even check in the night if I wake up.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2020, 09:19:41 »
Bizarre - down Sarf (Oxfordshire for me) it's been wet and grim since Wednesday evening, and in Essex my Mum's had 45mm in less than 48 hours.

Apparently it's the 50th anniversary of the Crumlin festival - which ended early after people were going down with exposure in August.
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2020, 10:11:25 »
Only 5.8mm month to date here in N E Hants (crondallweather.co.uk), but in dribs and drabs.Mostly evaporated within minutes. No proper thunderstorms, they seem to circumnavigate us. Still a chance for 7pm tonight-heres hoping!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 10:13:31 by ancellsfarmer »
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2020, 13:30:23 »
Started lifting spuds today - thoroughly soggy on top but dry as a bone underneath that first half inch.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2020, 14:09:45 »
Hi Ya, We live in a dry area admitidly but since the 27th July we have only had 5mm of rain. We had a shower yesterday and today but only got 2.5mm. !0 miles away they got a torrent and suffered some heavy flooding. Scratch the surface here and it's dry as dry can be. Suffering with a bit of scab on tatties and found out dry soil will not help. Oh well never to old to learn. Happy Gardening

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2020, 15:37:25 »
Light rain overnight and on and off all day.  Murky and muggy too. 3rd consecutive day of Blight Watch emails and first signs of blight on my outdoor tomatoes,  :BangHead:! But at least the water butts are no longer empty  :icon_cheers:.

Tricia  :wave:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2020, 17:00:02 »
Started lifting spuds today - thoroughly soggy on top but dry as a bone underneath that first half inch.
Started mine too, main crop and 'covid extras'.
 Having a wider than necessary woodchip central path, decided to plant some surplus Desire' and bury them in composted woodchip/fym/leaf sweepings from last season. The path is lower than the surrounding beds, therefore lies damp. Wow, what a bonus crop they are! Dry on top but very moist at tuber level. They seem to have rooted across the path as well. Next job is to sieve out the entire path of woodchip/any wayward tubers and that material resulting is to be the basis of next years seeding compost. Just to build a steriliser( next winter project).Anybody done it?/got a design ?
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2020, 20:50:02 »
Had rain... but spitting at the ground would probably have had more impact!

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2020, 06:59:36 »
Here at last a minor deluge.
Timed perfectly to coincide with my son and his family coming to camp for the weekend in the garden. A wet barbecue was enjoyed by all!

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2020, 20:28:06 »
Hi All, I had to tempt fate. No rain for a while it made up for it this afternoon with a thunder storm that gave us close to 2" in 45 minutes. Quite a deluge and has left some clearing up to do. Amazing,

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2020, 09:13:11 »
Well it  certainly rained last night... I'll be giving the water butts a good inspection today to see how much..
Should make it easier to lift the spuds.. not the easiest job with a couple of fractured ribs!

pumkinlover

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2020, 12:47:43 »
Did it stay dry for the open day saddad?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2020, 11:55:06 »
I did not get wet today, but a bit windswept and interesting.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2020, 15:46:48 »
Got both ACE, but I've never been described as windswept and interesting.... time yet I suppose!
It did stay dry for the Open Day, but has made up for it since! Next Open Day Sunday 6th of September.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2020, 18:22:23 »
Gale force here today. 50km/hr with gusts of up to 80km/hr. Beans took a real battering and we had to do a lot of emergency post driving and lashing of wigwams. Sweetcorn plants horizontal too. Calming down slightly now which is quite a relief.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2020, 09:30:48 »
I've had the wind too, as has the garden! One of my wigwams has fallen over (TBH it's been wonky ever since I put it up) and one of my outdoor tomatoes has gone over as well as the  cane has snapped, but it could have been worse. Annoyingly, the outdoor toms are now wildly overwatered and are splitting like hell. Ah wedll, they're for home consumption, not show!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2020, 15:28:35 »
Lost a few Sunflowers and Minipop Sweetcorn... but the squash and bean frames stood up OK.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal