Author Topic: Garlic  (Read 3345 times)

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
Garlic
« on: June 02, 2020, 13:17:42 »
I seem to have grown a LOT of garlic. What on earth am I going to do with it all?
Located in Royston, North Herts.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Garlic
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 13:56:36 »
What on earth am I going to do with it all?

One suggestion would be to chop/mince it up mix it with water then place the mixture in 'ice cube' containers and freeze them!

Then when you cook anything that you want to give a garlic flavour to, throw in one or two ice cubes.

Two; Save the biggest cloves for re-planting in October/November!

Three; Garlic stores quite well in a dark cool situation!

There I have made a start to the list!

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 14:44:26 »
Four: eaten raw in sufficient quantity it is an effective social distancing measure.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 15:24:20 »
You could confit it in oil.  Olive for me but a good organic British rapeseed oil would work too.  It's what i'm planning to do with a lot of mine this year as last year a lot of it didn't store well in the long heatwaves and it looks like we're starting another one now, just as I'm thinking of harvesting.

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/confit-garlic-recipe

Another trick is to bake bulbs whole after cleaning them and then squeeze the contents of each clove into a sterilised jar, knowk out any air bulbs and cover with oil.  However I find this messy so am trying confit.
Obxx - Vendée France

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 19:41:02 »
You can freeze them very well, 2 ways, freeze them as individual cloves with their skins on,defrost when wanted then sqeeze and the flesh comes out quite soft, the other way is to peel them and freeze them whole, you can use these from frozen, they slice paperthin and they will also go through a garlic press. I prefer the sencond one. I keep them in a glass jar in the freezer and use them all the time
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 10:50:01 »
Thanks for all your suggestions, I will try them all. (I have enough!)
Located in Royston, North Herts.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal