Author Topic: Using Turf on Raised Beds  (Read 1339 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Using Turf on Raised Beds
« on: June 01, 2020, 19:40:50 »
I am thinking of moving over to a raised bed system on my allotment next year. We have had some of our lawn taken up to build a gazebo and the builder has suggested using the turf to layer a raised bed(grass side down) which then is filled with soil.
Has anyone done this and know if it works?

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Using Turf on Raised Beds
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 20:02:47 »
When we used to make our own loam it started with turf made into a turf stack. Covered and  left to itself for a year and it was perfect loam. If you are putting your turf at the bottom then covering with soil then it is the same principle.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 20:05:58 »

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 21:29:28 »
I agree with Ace and Tee Gee!

Basically, with he (double) digging you are burying some good organic stuff deep down where the roots go and are opening up one or two spades depth of soil above.

With the stacking you are producing fertile loam (you may have to eradicate a few perennial weeds in the process).

The alternative is the no dig method, so I guess then you would lay the turves face down on the bed, break them up a bit, an cover with the mulches.

Anyway, it's good stuff and don't put it in the skip!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 21:57:13 »
If it were mine, I should stack cut turf 'bricks' as two sides of your compost heap, with each inverted. Remove any dandelions, daisies, buttercups, and if found, wireworm and leatherjackets. Leave there until at least  spring 2021.
Use all of the compost/loam to dress your new beds as a topcoat mulch.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 19:01:21 »
Well its unanimous! I will do that.
 The lawn turf isn't very weedy just a bit starved as it was under a large bush for a very long time.
I wasn't thinking of doing it until March or April next year anyway when all the veg will be cleared off and I will have a blank slate. Many thanks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal