Author Topic: Sprocali?  (Read 1723 times)

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
Sprocali?
« on: May 27, 2020, 21:20:02 »
I got some of these plants at our local nursery (dirt cheap), i believe they are some type of broccoli, they are producing those kind of heads , i cant find anything on google about how i should be harvesting them?

Paulh

• Hectare
Re: Sprocali?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 08:34:47 »
Are they kalettes / flower sprouts? If so, I guess you snap the heads off to pick them, like sprouts. I've not grown them but someone here will know!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 08:58:50 »
These are strange times, the garden centres will be kidding all the new lockdown gardeners. I expect the dirt cheap price reflects that not many were taken in.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 15:31:03 »
I've heard of Flower Sprouts which are a cross between sprouts and kale an make little "florettes" of kale leaves up the stem, like sprouts do.  Taste lovely lightly steamed or done in a shallow pan with a thingy of butter, a tbs of water, S & P and a lid so they steam rather than boil dry.

I've also heard of brokali which is a Chinese form of broccoli.  I did have some seeds but then we moved.......  https://www.burpee.com/gardenadvicecenter/encyclopedia/vegetables/learn-about-brokali/encyclopedia__brokali-article.html
Obxx - Vendée France

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 18:30:54 »
Brussel sprouts, /cauliflower cross.   
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 21:09:22 »
sorry i got it wrong, found them, its called Sticolli and its so nice, picked it today !
Definately not a new lock down gardener :), we get some plants from a nursery run by a now elderly couple and they grow so much veg and hanging baskets and i cant resist going there in the spring (even though some of their stuff is a bit early), grow a lot from seed ourselves but their stuff is cheap, good quality and its such a nice place to go to

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 21:26:35 »
Well, now you have the plant identified, have a look at this - https://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=73363.0
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal