Author Topic: White Rot  (Read 3353 times)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
White Rot
« on: May 26, 2020, 09:47:54 »
It looks like white rot has infected my garlic patch. I dug up a couple as tgey were looking stunted and the bulbs were sqishy and white fungs growing.  The rest look like some of the outer leaves are starting to turn but look sturdy. The couple of elephant garlic I planted have put up scapes (which we ate yesterday!).

Question. Should I pull the rest of the garlic and either use or freeze if it looks OK or persevere and hope?  If I pull the garlic, would it be OK to add manure and plant some squashes/courgette?
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

gray1720

• Hectare
Re: White Rot
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 10:35:54 »
I'd be inclined to freeze anything that looks OK as it won't have dried off properly so may not keep, white rot or no white rot. I dunno how you'd normally do it - we tend to blitz it with the mouli and freeze in little pots (the sort of thing your sauce comes in from takeaways), or blitz with ginger and freeze as ginger-garlic paste, makes a great base for spicy meals. If you do that, add a little water as it makes it easier to get in and out of the pot.

White rot is pretty species specific - even in a bad year it attacks my leeks much less than onions and garlic - so I can't imagine following with squash will be an issue.

Adrian

My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 11:19:56 »
I've got white rot on my top plot... which I took on around the Millennium... not had any problems with anything else on the same ground.. squash would be fine.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 14:24:35 »
Dispose of the diseased material by burning or placing in your household waste bin. Do not compost any garlic. Take care not to transfer by boots, hoe, etc to your other alliums, or to your other plots. Be as alert as you are with topical virus.
I'm sure Jeyes fluid will deal with either!
 Dont plant alliums  in that part for up to 10 years. Re-source your supply for next season. Did you buy garlic this year?
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 14:54:39 »
If it is white rot then I totally agree with Ancell but are you certain it is White Rot?

The reason I say this is; Some years ago during a hot spell like we are having now and my onions were relatively young, and I was doing a lot of manual watering and I got to thinking I might have 'cooked/boiled' my onions.

To explain the topsoil where I watered was quite wet (as I wanted) but I came to the conclusion that the rot I saw was simply a result of the excess moisture in the soil heating up and literally cooking the base of the onion turning the base of the onion into a 'mushy mess'

Whereas I found that the time I did get "White Rot" the onions were indeed soft but not mushy, but this time there was the tell-tale ring of mould as you can see here!

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/O/Onion%20White%20rot/Onion%20White%20Rot.htm

(click on images to enlarge)

Is this what yours look like?

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 18:12:55 »
Hi  everybody, thanks for that. I move crops round regularly, and had not had the garlic in that patch before. Grey, thanks so much for tge kitchen tip, I will certainly give that a go.  Hi TeeGee: yep, thats what it is alright.

I bought new garlic from Kings in Autumn last year they had an offer on I coukd not refuse. Sone hard nec and sone soft neck.  Funny that about it not going for leeks.  Kings tgrew in a couple of elephant garlic and tgey look quite healthy.

Heyho. Onward and upward.  plant out the courgettes, squashes and pumpkins. I'm trying Rouge d'If, Queensland Blue, Victor and Thelma Saunder 's  Sweet Potato squash this time -  as well as the usual.

Oh yes, this afternoon, one of the Great Gandalfs from Compost Corner (the first 6 plots on our site) told me to try crushing garlic and mixing with watwer to add to the soil when there are no aliums set and growing. This deceives the white rot into triggeribg at tge wrong time and kills it off if you work at it over 3 -5 years.

Jeyes Fluid? Yep, stirling stuff -not what it was though thanks to the EU. I've been using it to spray the drive at home as well as the plots

Many thanks to yo all afain. Great to know we can access such a wealth of hard won knowledge xxxx  :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 19:22:59 »
"Jeyes Fluid? Yep, stirling stuff -not what it was though thanks to the EU. I've been using it to spray the drive at home as well as the plots "
It is my understanding that the formulation has not changed. What has changed are the tested (and paid for) EU approvals certificates. I further understand that the same product formulation is exported to the rest of the world for its various Public Health functions, where EU sanction is neither sought nor demanded. I am not suggesting that you disregard the "approved" recommendations, merely suggesting that its effectiveness for previously recommended applications has not diminished.
At least you may be safe to grow garlic upon your driveway!!

Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 20:13:08 »
There's quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that "inoculating" the soil off season with garlic or onion traces works as you say. I use garlic powder if I can get hold of it. My wife looks puzzled when I unpack something that won't be use for cooking, equine health or canine conditioning ...

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 08:49:28 »
Hi Ya, A while ago I suffered white rot and put a question on the forum. I got an answer from Lauriek ( hope I have spelt that right on this site about mixing garlic powder with water and watering it into the ground to trick the spores inti thinking onions were present and die off. It worked for me and fingers crossed no problems since. The area treated stank of garlic for a week or more but it worked. I cant remember the mix but I think it was about 35grams per gallon. A search of the forum may help you find the mix. Good luck

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 08:35:14 »
Thanks everyone. The rot looks to be in patches so some may be saved. Is it like club root? Affecting some but not all? Oh well. Time to head for the plot and get a bit done before it gets too hot.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 16:08:45 »
glad I was able to help some one, when I took my plot on I was not able to grow onions because of white rot. I till grow in the same place each year although at the age of 89 this might
 be the last. I eat the area when I lift the currant crop so as to kill the spores that would infect the next years crop. I think it is important to use garlic powder before the soil cool ad the spores go dormant. I am not an expert but just a retired gardener. I learnt about garlic powder on the internet . I now win the onion class at the local show.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 17:24:23 »
Nice to see you back Laurie ...you were conspicuous by your absence.

What sort of growing year are you having ?

In the past; Spring was always about giving my seedlings frost free & well lit conditions.

This year has been quite the reverse, as I have to shade and keep my seedling cool.

This is  something that even after fifty years of gardening I am finding difficult to handle, it's a whole new ball game!

I guess I am not a man for all seasons!

Will try better next year! :BangHead:

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 08:37:24 »
Hi Tee Gee, I think   I am getting too old for this now that I am 89, I seem to forget how to do things , I still try to grow things on my allotment but it gets harder. I have been down there this morning but it is so dry , I cut what sweet peas there were and came home. We had a small do for our diamond wedding just before the lockdown started. I must say it is nice to be missed, many thanks for the best wishes.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 13:50:48 »
Great to see you again Laurie.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal