Author Topic: distancing  (Read 2061 times)

ACE

• Hectare
distancing
« on: May 23, 2020, 16:12:00 »
Why do people have to edge forward when they feel the need to try and strike up a conversation. Told somebody this morning I am too busy to natter and to keep their distance. It is alright I was told 2 metres is safe. I told them the reason I am still here is because I add my two metres to their two metres so just stay well back or I will only use two words and one of them will be off.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: distancing
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 16:37:56 »
You are entitled to stay as far away as you are comfortable with... I'd need more than 4M for some of our plotholders....

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 17:04:58 »
For some inexplicable reason I'm the only one at our site that wears a mask and faffs around at the gate sanitising hands before and after touching the lock, and after touching the taps. Often I find myself creeping backwards away from people during a conversation because they feel compelled to inch closer for some reason, with nothing covering their mouth of course, spittle flying freely. Then I see them face to face hanging over the fence having a chat. It's crazy. I know a mask won't do much to protect me, but it is to protect others from me. Isn't it common courtesy in times like this to keep your germs to yourself? Most of my plot neighbours are pensioners, I'm in my 20s. Maybe they're seeking a challenging new experience.

Stay safe folks  :wave:

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 19:30:35 »
We need more youngsters on allotments... tell them to back off!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 21:47:43 »
I find distancing under normal circumstances quite a challenge.It seems to be different within countries too., I have a friend who is in my face and as I back off a bit he comes forward, howevr I have been to a family gathering and noticed all his family and a lot of his friends are like that, and they all come from the same country, on the other hand I know some folks who stay way back and all their family do too.

somewhere there will be statistics on it....might be interesting !!
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 08:54:20 »
We are now facing problems, lots of people are no longer following the guidelines, either they are getting blasé or just discontented after  the debacle with the government. I shall keep my side of the bargain but if it gets any worse it is back to early morning exercise and staying at home again.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 09:20:06 »
London is busy again..
More shops are opening, everyone is out and about, loads more cars on the road, footie in the park, local pub selling "take away" pints... 
Sorry to say that there is no authority anymore and people have taken it on themselves to do what they want.
It wont end well.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 10:36:16 »
London is busy again..
More shops are opening, everyone is out and about, loads more cars on the road, footie in the park, local pub selling "take away" pints... 
Sorry to say that there is no authority anymore and people have taken it on themselves to do what they want.
It wont end well.
Will it ever end?
No vaccine yet proven.
No vaccine for the not- too- dissimilar common cold virus, despite more than 70 years of research.
No confirmation of the positive role played by previous flu vaccines in immunity.
No alternative ' money tree' .
No alternative for funding apart from the surplus (taxation) of the private sector.
Surely a controlled return to production must be made, together with proper management of risks, especially of identified shortfalls in emergency planning. Next time it may be far more serious.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:39:37 by ancellsfarmer »
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 17:28:17 »
Have just seen a graph of the Spanish Flu just over 100 years ago.  There was a second wave which was far worse than the first.  The second wave was slightly delayed in Britain compared to the USA and compared to continental Europe, but it was huge with Britain right at the top. 

Then there was a pretty bad third wave, but only in Britain.  Unfortunately there was no explanation why Britain had it worse, but lets fast forward to the present.  Opening lockdown right at a time when the numbers of infections and the numbers dying are actually worse than they were when we went into lockdown, seems to invite a huge second wave.  Have they learned nothing from the Spanish Flu?   :BangHead:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 18:33:07 »
Galina, I have avery strong feeling we haven;t seen anything yet, and it won't go away,
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 21:54:54 »
Have you seen the news reports of the huge numbers of people on Brighton beach today or parks and other green spaces?  And people having parties and BBQs that don't follow the rules?.  It seems some people have had enough of lockdown and are taking a leaf out of Cummings' book.  Let's just hope that the second wave, when it comes, affects the idiots and not the ones displaying caution and common sense and social responsibility - but I fear it won't.
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal