Author Topic: Bees  (Read 2618 times)

AlanP

• Half Acre
  • Willy Nelson
    • http://www.freewebs.com/alanparkin/index.htm
Bees
« on: June 01, 2020, 15:50:59 »
At the bottom of our garden we have a gazebo, it has a nest box attached to it, where we like to have a glass of wine in this nice weather. But alas, no more as the bird box has been taken over by Bees, lots of them    :blob7:
These bees are quite small, about 6 mm with odd ones been a bit bigger. So my questions are, do all bees sting or the bigger question is, is this a permanent residence or will they eventually go. I don't want to do them any harm if they are going to go somewhere else soon.
Any help on this matter would be appreciated as I know nothing about bees.

Alan
Just one more polytunnel, just one more chicken coop.
Just one more allotment.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Bees
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 20:02:55 »
Just leave them alone and they'll be fine and so will you.  They only sting if they feel threatened and then they die so it's a last resort.   You could try planting some bee friendly plants such as lavender, rosemary and borage to make sure they leave you alone.
Obxx - Vendée France

AlanP

• Half Acre
  • Willy Nelson
    • http://www.freewebs.com/alanparkin/index.htm
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 20:18:10 »
Thanks for the reply.  They seem to be enjoying the Red Hot Pokers that are in full bloom.

Alan
Just one more polytunnel, just one more chicken coop.
Just one more allotment.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 21:17:04 »
Alan, we have bees living in damaged part of our house ( cannot get supplies during Covid).....they  Are all around us In garden and no problems :)

This site is helpful
https://www.bbka.org.uk/swarm
Jackie

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 11:17:41 »
Hi Alan... rarely a problem... I saw red when I saw bees in the pests section....
I have two large rosemary bushes almost blocking the doorway into one of my greenhouses.. very popular with the bees and have never been stung in over thirty years.
You could contact the local beekeepers as from the size they might be honey bees.. they would certainly take them away if they were or identify them and let you know if they weren't how long they would be in residence

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 11:22:17 »
The risk of a sting is fairly low - we had hives on our allotments for a year (moved on in the end because people made a fuss...) and AFAIK only one person was stung, and they were still quite happy to have bees there.

I know that last is fact because it was me! Stuck my nose in my compost "E" just as one flew out, and the poor thing flew straight into me...

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 13:56:12 »
One must allow bees to gain confidence in one being around. They are territorial and will react to newcomer scents in the first instance on a war footing. Over time they accept that no risk to them is forthcoming and relax a little, unless upset.
 Wasps are more militant and i believe can detect fear in us.
Bees here are treated with due respect and given every assistance.Wasps are not.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 20:27:14 »
Why not?  Wasps are useful predators of other pests we don't want and they only sting if you upset them.   I haven't been stung since one landed on my ice lolly when I was about 9 or 10.  That's a lot of decades ago.
Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 09:47:40 »
I agree wasps are harder to love but do a good job. OH was stung on the tongue once.. she took a ripe mulberry off the tree and it was on the other side!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal