Author Topic: Begonias/Hanging Basket question  (Read 2456 times)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Begonias/Hanging Basket question
« on: May 11, 2020, 12:14:37 »
Hi all, hope you're all well.

I have a begonia related question for my dad.

He bought some 'bags' of begonias to put in to hanging baskets and popped them into a cool dark cupboard until he was ready to plant them. Then he forgot about them - and came across them a couple of days ago!

He said they've now got quite long stems with a few leaves at the top, and his question is, what to do with them? Plant them in the hanging baskets as they are? Trim them down or are they no good now?

Thanks very much and take care,
Sam 😊

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Begonias/Hanging Basket question
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 13:03:20 »
Well we all have 'senior moments' !
 Out of interest, how long have they been in storage?
As they are showing signs of life, I would:
a)'surgically' remove them from the bags*, ensuring that the shoots are not broken off.
Lay them in a receptacle such as a bucket and soak them in tepid water for 8 hours.
b)Fill each basket with its liner and add 3" compost. Select each tuber and place in the best position to accomodate its (possibly strange) development. Tie in place perhaps with string to hold them while you add the remaining compost,mixed with water as a slurry. Hang the basket(s) to drain overnight.
c) Check drained level and top up with more compost.Minor pruning may be required to deliver a pleasing shape. These offcuts may lend themselves to produce rooted cuttings. Leaf cuttings are also possible with the correct treatment.
*presuming netting
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Begonias/Hanging Basket question
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 22:23:19 »
Thank you, AnsellsFarmer, I will pass it on.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal