Author Topic: Beware the Arctic blast  (Read 5022 times)

pumkinlover

Re: Beware the Arctic blast
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2020, 08:39:16 »
I thought my fig tree at  home was wilting the other day as the leaves were damaged on some of the tips. It's in a very large pot.
Then I realised that it was frost damage to the young leaves. Luckily there are plenty more not damaged.
It's an off shoot from the plant at the allotment for when i have to retire from the plot.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2020, 09:08:07 »
My plot was fine while my wife plot 4 miles away suffered - spuds nipped and beans dead (not ours mind!)
Just shows how local conditions and local knowledge is important..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2020, 11:19:21 »
When we moved to Belgium nearly 30 years ago every gardener I met warned me about the Ice Saints.   Not being RC I hadn't a clue but learned fast.

It is not safe to plant out anything tender till after they're done with:-

George April 23, Mark April 25, Eutrope April 30, Croix May 3, John May 6 but the worst are the later ones who can be nasty surprise - Mamet May 11th, Pancras May 12 and Gervais May 13.

The only other saint they cared about is Saint Katherine on November 25th - the best time to plant trees and lots of local councils give away free native whips and saplings on that weekend to green up spaces and gardens.

The French have the same sayings for Saints days.  Here near the coast and half way down we've had no frosts but it's been pretty cold and I've had to take treasures in to the polytunnel to keep them safe.
Obxx - Vendée France

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2020, 18:24:58 »
My earliest 'farming' experience, aged about 7,involved keeping snails in a wooden box as pets. Feeding them on porridge oat flakes. Had over 100, of various species, at one time. They were often escaping as the lid was insecure. Much time spent trying to recapture them, evolving into putting Airfix paint spots on the shells to be able to distinguish 'my' snails. It was from this that I discovered how far they can travel, several hundred yards, in their own good time.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2020, 19:54:38 »
The RHS did that with nail varnish, I believe, to prove the perishers have a homing instinct.
Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2020, 20:14:00 »
Hi PKL,
I had done the pruning out of the dead extremities lost to the frost.. but realise I will have to take out a few more bits of my fig that have succumbed since!  :BangHead:

pumkinlover

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2020, 08:24:34 »
Oh dear mine is only a few leaves so no real damage.
The main  tree is preety bomb proof, it's amazing how productive it is.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal