Author Topic: Beware the Arctic blast  (Read 5024 times)

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Beware the Arctic blast
« on: May 06, 2020, 09:15:05 »
Forecasts suggest that we are due to receive an Arctic blast from Saturday 9th forwards. Caution planting without protection of cold/frost tender plants. See local forecasts for your area. Time to earth up yer spuds!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Beware the Arctic blast
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 09:51:44 »
I  saw that on the weather forcast, Beans are ready but I will give them another week in pots. Spuds are getting to tall to earth up anymore. I got hit a few years back on the potatoes, it did not seem to hurt them apart from some scorched leaves. If it really looks too bad I will have to sprinkle  a bit of straw on them. Fingers crossed the warm sea will tone down the chill.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 12:42:26 »
Yes, night-time temperatures a bit parky! Most of my stuff should be adequately hardened off as I don't heat anything outdoors, but the toms in the greenhouse might be back in for a few days, and will have to keep an eye on the spuds. The Swift in bags are too far on to earth up... must get the bubble out!

Anyone heard any word on how long it's expected to last? I realise that forecasting that far ahead is a mug's game but might as well plan a bit...

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 14:07:12 »
Yes, night-time temperatures a bit parky! Most of my stuff should be adequately hardened off as I don't heat anything outdoors, but the toms in the greenhouse might be back in for a few days, and will have to keep an eye on the spuds. The Swift in bags are too far on to earth up... must get the bubble out!

Anyone heard any word on how long it's expected to last? I realise that forecasting that far ahead is a mug's game but might as well plan a bit...

Adrian

Well in N E Hampshire, my location, its till Wednesday. We're 50ish miles from Aces' tropical zone, infact often colder here than many parts of the lowlands of England.Its the 30-40mph winds that give it the chill effect!
Best guide I find, is:
theweatheroutlook.com

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 14:36:44 »
Should just about be ok in London at 4-5c and that's only for a night or two - wind doesn't look too bad and most stuff is pretty hardened off.
Glad I haven't given in to temptation and planted out on the plot yet though - it is in a dip and you can get cold air tumbling down to my plot..

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 15:47:18 »
Thinking much the same, Nick - we are here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Port+Meadow,+Oxford/@51.7834021,-1.2918661,2678m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xe05f8b081a42329a!8m2!3d51.7717456!4d-1.2850855

on a water meadow with stuff-all shelter. My broad beans and some onions are in, but that's all until after this, I think!
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 20:40:05 »
For the last two or three weeks, I've watched other plotholders plant out French beans and sweetcorn and so on while I've not yet sown all mine at home. We can get a bitter wind well into May that strips the leaves off the young plants and a frost isn't impossible, though unusual. So for a couple of years others are almost harvesting courgettes when I plant mine out. I've sown things a bit earlier this year (not going on holiday in May eases the timetable as well!) but I'm glad I've only peas and broad beans planted out so far.

I won't get any satisfaction if others lose their plants to several days of frost, it'll be a sad outcome, but I won't question my own caution either.

Now I've just got to move 30 tomato young plants, some chilies and basil out of my non-frost proof greenhouse (I lost a lot of lobelia last year) to somewhere safer for the next few nights. 

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 20:57:09 »
For the last two or three weeks, I've watched other plotholders plant out French beans and sweetcorn and so on while I've not yet sown all mine at home. We can get a bitter wind well into May that strips the leaves off the young plants and a frost isn't impossible, though unusual. So for a couple of years others are almost harvesting courgettes when I plant mine out. I've sown things a bit earlier this year (not going on holiday in May eases the timetable as well!) but I'm glad I've only peas and broad beans planted out so far.

I won't get any satisfaction if others lose their plants to several days of frost, it'll be a sad outcome, but I won't question my own caution either.

Now I've just got to move 30 tomato young plants, some chilies and basil out of my non-frost proof greenhouse (I lost a lot of lobelia last year) to somewhere safer for the next few nights. 
You are right to be cautious. One sees folk who go too soon. I blame the 'B&Qs' , who ,in normal years,have bedding plants out on sale for Easter, irrespective of when it falls. This must cause so much disappointment amongst the public; its a wonder that they don't learn !!
From a personal perspective, I hedge my bets. For example, 3 courgettes have been out for 3 weeks now. They are covered with net cloche. They take their chance.
 8 more, sown 2 weeks ago, will hopefully get out a week tomorrow. The remaining 5 were sown on Monday this week , and are 'spares'. Similarly, for peppers and the other 'softies'. Its growing them thats fun. Any crop is a bonus!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 11:03:29 »
We have sweet corn, runners and courgettes out on the site... mine are still under cover. I had my minipop out hardening off but will be taking them back in at night.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 18:32:49 »
Well, the frost came last night or rather early this morning. The weather forecast said 2 or 3 degrees for my area of S. Lincs but, alas, I think it must have dropped to -1.
I'd covered the dwarf beans but the potatoes suffered badly. A sorry sight. I hope they will recover but I'm sure they will be set back by a few weeks. A few other casualties which it's too depressing to go through.
I've realised that in creating a nicely sheltered vegetable garden with quite thick hedging all round, I've probably created a first pocket. Ah well ...... I might be more aware next time.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 20:02:12 »
We got it too but only on the newly emerged potatoes... some others on the site had jumped the gun...

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 20:56:55 »
Yes it got down to -1.6 in suburban Brum last night. The day before I went to the lotty and on seeing a few spuds had emerged from the soil used the old technique of earthing them up a bit.
Covered lettuce with fleece.
Could be another cold one Wed night.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 14:57:35 »
On Monday night the tops of my potatoes were hit where they touched the tarpaulin cover. Not badly enough (I hope) to affect the crop, but a few volunteers that had popped out on last year's potato area were killed, as were the ones on the compost heap. We get frosts till the end of May in our particular pocket, so I've been ready with the fleece and bubble even for the greenhouse. Better safe than sorry.
I remember many years ago a frost in the first week in June, the garden centre I knew then near Coventry lost all it's bedding plants overnight.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 17:59:06 »
Well it looks cold enough for me, 3C in London which is cold enough for a ground frost.  Not sure about the stuff in the poly but some stuff left in the garden last night looks worse for wear.  OH's plot is quite exposed and we lost a load of borlotti beans.  Just when you think you know best eh?
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 20:29:30 »
No frosts but we do have your Arctic chill making it very cold. This time last year we were in a serious heatwave and drought too so everything baking, wilting or already crispy.

This year we've had a wet tho mild winter, a very cold wet start to March and loads more rain than any year since we moved here October 17.   Thanks to Covid OH has not been distracted by golf and I have no patchwork or mosaic classes and homework so lots of work done in the garden and veggie plot.   

I potted up 2 doz each seedling seedlings of cavolo nero and PSB on Saturday in 30C sunshine so I carefully left them on a workbench in open air in their trays.  That night we had a humdinger of a storm and I leapt out of bed at 7am to go and rescue them all from drowning.    They seem OK now after draining in the shelter of the PT but it's way too cold to put th etrays outside again or plant out the courgettes and spaghetti squash as planned.

5C last night and again tonight.  Not good for the figs and this year I thought we may get some before the bloody starlings strip the tree.

Main problem here is slimy things.   Lost count of the hundreds of snails we've lobbed across the road into the hedgerows and this year has been so wet so far we have hundreds of slugs too. 

Obxx - Vendée France

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2020, 06:18:51 »
Lost count of the hundreds of snails we've lobbed across the road into the hedgerows and this year has been so wet so far we have hundreds of slugs too. 

Its not far enough! They will return(slowly!) If you don't believe me, mark some with nail varnish and watch out for your 'friends'. Fill a container and liberate them (if you must) kilometres away when you exercise.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2020, 09:37:55 »
I know but in normal times they'd either get run over or cook on the hot tarmac as they crawl back and any survivors will have to negotiate our own roadside verge, ditch, hedge and then grass or a sharp gravel drive.
Obxx - Vendée France

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2020, 12:54:11 »
I know but in normal times they'd either get run over or cook on the hot tarmac as they crawl back and any survivors will have to negotiate our own roadside verge, ditch, hedge and then grass or a sharp gravel drive.
Ha Ha!
SO why the 'sporting chance'? Aren't they the variety for the menu?
Your reply is almost the same as I was given years ago by a very 'townie' lady to whom I had the pleasure of selling a 'humane' mouse trap.Seeing how squeamish she was, I delighted, while presenting her change, in asking "exactly what will you do when you catch it?"
Her reply involved a dual carriageway trunk road and the morning rush-hour. What fun!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2020, 14:08:34 »
Everything looks good, it did not happen. It got a bit nippy in the breeze, a bit like a Scottish summers day.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2020, 17:10:07 »
Ancell's Farmer - I confess that if they make me very cross by chomping on my clematis shoots and hostas or wiping out a whole row of precious veggie seedlings I am more likely to stomp on them but, if feeling, mildly benevolent, they get lobbed.

I know a lady in the garden club who "herds" them and feeds them for the pot but I can't bring myself to eat them.  maybe I should keep them for her - once we're allowed to go and see friends again.

It's a bit warmer here, in theory, but the wind is now due north and perishing.    We had 40C this time last year!
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal