Author Topic: NEWBIE - HI FOLKS  (Read 6551 times)

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
Re: NEWBIE - HI FOLKS
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2005, 07:46:27 »
Hi all update on lottie progress.

Well the rotovator was a damp squibb. Wardy it started like a dream, then stopped and died when it saw my claggy clay. Its not really a rotovator I think my friend Beryl was a bit over stated its a Merry tiller best suited to well worked soil. So its back to the spade & fork!

I have some peas up and the spuds are now all planted. Some are growing well, earthing up with my mushroom compost. They seem to like that.

Parsnips were also planted along with Lambs Lettuce to mark the rows. Guess what, Lambs Lettuce 0 - Parsnips 1,000's LOL

Heres a pic of my pea protection (fat pidgeons by the hundred round here!) To the left of the peas are shallots and onions. Was very late with the shallots will they go to seed?

Supernan!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2005, 09:57:28 »
Glad to hear that you're making progress  :)  Shame about your having to break out the spade though  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2005, 10:24:05 »
Supernan :D

Welcome back to  nature!! Hahaha ;D
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

supernan

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2005, 07:21:30 »
Two pictures so you can see how my lottie and garden grows.

:o WOW I am so pleased with myself, excuse the big head, but just had to brag my little plants are growing so well for me!! I stick them in and they do all the hard work.

Most of the toms are now in their summer home, large water butt sized plastic pots in the sunniest bit of the front garden. Others are for my friends Peter the postie and my local fuchsia nursery,  Percivals Fuchsias, who always let me have their cast offs to nurse and sell for my charity Riding for the Disabled.

Even bigger head on this one I have got the hang of my photo editing and resizing on here. Hooray!!!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 09:33:30 by supernan »
Supernan!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2005, 08:16:28 »
Brill supernan!  Looks like all systems go.  I like the look of the cage.  I could do with one - not for me veg but for the dog.  I put him on a long lead but he keeps walking on me veg  :(

Your photos are fab.  The last one looks all pixellated or is it just me?

Keep them coming.  I will take some of my beans on their palatial new bean support if the slugs haven't eaten em since last night.  ;D

supernan

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2005, 09:11:08 »
 :D LOL wardy its gone to pixel heaven. Will repost.
Supernan!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2005, 09:20:59 »
Ta  ;D

supernan

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2005, 09:34:58 »
 >:( Photobucket had resized! Now got the hang of resizing even better LOL
Supernan!!

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2005, 14:38:25 »
hi supernan and welcome god u have been busy and look so well organised , look forward to seeing updates as the weeks go on good luck  :) :) :)

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2005, 15:17:59 »
very nice field you have there, supernan ;D

has the soil improved much yet? if i recall correctly, you had added tons of mushroom compost?
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

supernan

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2005, 17:47:32 »
Hi yes 2 tons of compost, got about 1/4 tons left for mulching runners.

Rest has gone on earthing up pots and mulching peas. Also used some in my tub/basket potting compost. Its great for helping compost stay wet. Really could do with another 2 tons. My back is now complaining.

This clay is going to be a hard job to get right. Mr Cresswell is emptying his cow shed soon and I am going to store this till autumn. Then speard on part of the lottie.

Thanks for the compliment dibberxxx. Boot sales this and next weekend to raise funds for next years seeds. So the greenhouse will be empty for the toms to get going.
Supernan!!

supernan

• Half Acre
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2005, 14:36:51 »
:D boot sale went well, nearly sold all the tommie plants, but not many baskets or tubs  :(. Another large plant stall, selling baskets that were so blooming they will never last the summer. Mine are looking better now they have had another weeks growth so back they go next week.

Sold a tub to my neighbour for her Mums birthday, heard today Mum was well chuffed with it! Success!!!

I am trying to be self funding on the garden and veg plot. You know sell surplus to fund expenses then you get veg for free.

Have spent two days planting up brassicas in their cage. All went well until Bud my dog could not get in to me and burst through the netting!!! *!*! dog. Out came the twine and a quick repair later am in a good mood again. Also planting out squash, pumpkin, veg spaghetti and courgettes today. Have popped in for a lunch break and coffee.
 2nd potatoes are peeking out so earthed them up as well.

Early to bath and bed tonight for me.

Neighbours and friends are already asking when will veg be ready.

Supernan!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2005, 09:43:33 »
Supernan    Great to read your uplifting post.  Cheered me up no end  :)  Sorry to hear about your dog crashing through the netting.  Typical  ;D 

Your tomatoes look monsters compared to my little weeds but I'm hoping they'll have a growth spurt soon (eternal optimist that I am)

Good idea about selling veggies etc to raise dosh for your seeds.  I'll have to try that  :)

supernan

• Half Acre
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2005, 15:56:28 »
 ;D Hi wardy. Been at it again!! Next door neighbour swapped some hanging baskets for dahlia plants!! So have spent today potting baskets up. Had a surplus of petunias, Nemesia Paintbox and tuberous begonias. I forgot (its my age) that I had ordered them and had already planted up all my baskets. Now I have run out of hanging basket liners. I can't win LOL.

Also cut the grass. Had a real panic the mower would not start. RUN OUT OF PETROL!!!!!!!!!!!! Was real slow working that one out LOL ???

Still have all the Busy Lizzies to do for the shady pots in the back, peppers for grow bags in the hot front garden and the greenhouse toms.......and Granddaughter is staying again. One lot of runners has failed, think I watered too much, they were a bit soggy. OOps

Farmer Barry has given me some more veg seed, he has cleared his shed out. SO I now have more peas, climbing and ordinary french beans and purple sprouting broccoli. Don't think I'll put the peas in as pea moth will get most of them, but will try the others. I have soo much ground here and can't bear to see it empty.

Will take some more pics in a couple of weeks.

My Morning Glory's have just started to flower, they are planted with Black Eyed Susan, should be a lovely display later on.
Supernan!!

supernan

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2005, 12:27:02 »
 :D Hey yippee!! Its raining, first for two weeks.

I am now the proud owner of eight tons of cow manure. nearby farmer delivered two days ago. Great excitement for me and the dog......... He rolled in it and YUK ate some.

Today the heap is steaming away, it was so hot I think I should have put my kettle on it for coffee time!!!!

Next sunny day I will take some more pics. Lots of lovely plants growing. Bean frames and plants are in. All the spuds are up, brassicas are growing well, squash, pumpkins and courgetttes are a bit slow but nice and green. It is still too cold here, plus the lack of rain. ARGH this rotten weather.

Toms are all set out in tubs outside and in compost bags in greenhouse. Two melons I swapped with Kitty are growing, but again slow.... lack of heat & sun.

Keep digging guys it will be worth it.
Supernan!!

supernan

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2005, 13:31:16 »
Hi all at A4A.

New pictures as promised. View from bottom of the lottie, greens in their cage (ya boo sucks to pidgeons and catterpillers), spuds looking very good.

This one is 1/2 way up. Runner beans, then french climbers. Behind bean frames are my dahlias, lupins and delphiniums. Grew too many to go in the garden!! Could not bear to throw them away, hope they will look stunning on the lottie. French and African marigolds planted round beans. OMG that hedge needs cutting again!!!

Supernan!!

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2005, 17:52:28 »
Hey Supernan,

if your Merry Tiller won't cope with clay there may be something wrong with it, mine will turn over solid concrete, ;D slight exaggeration but my soil is solid Bedford clay generously dotted with flints as big as my fist, the MT has this for breakfast, it might be your technique, there's a knack to it for sure, how deep did you set the drag bar?

supernan

• Half Acre
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2005, 18:13:27 »
Hi MT I am so glad you sent this message you are the second person to tell me MT is a good hard worker and ...........!! not correctly so I have been told. My friend Bill is going to come round and sort MT out. It has gone a bit slack in the belt deptartment and needs adjusting.

She is very ancient but he (Bill) is a dab hand at fixing things. So when he's finished his stint at the fuchsia nursery he's going to park his mobile home round here and do all my jobs. Bet he's still here at Christmas. LOL There's a fence to put up, the shed looks like its had too much vino or been in a hurricane, hedge needs cutting, ditch needs clearing, and on ........

I have got sunburn on the backs of my legs, shorts on today. On the lottie all day, hoeing YUK!!
Supernan!!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2005, 19:27:55 »
Wow Supernan....you have done so much!!!!! Have just taken over neglected plot so this is an inspiration!!
Ahem......am I the only member of the "Bud Appreciation Society" he looks GORGEOUS!!!! I have a cat called Bud, ginger tom whose character says he should wear shades and Doc Martens!! Maybe thats why I like your Bud so much...more pics please!! You should be so proud of what you have achieved so far.....well done you!! ;D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2005, 00:41:17 »
Really impressed with your plot supernan.  The progress you have made is fantastic and your plot is looking superb.  You have worked so hard on it and it shows. You deserve to feel very proud of it.  :)  busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal