Author Topic: sheep manure  (Read 2630 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
sheep manure
« on: April 28, 2020, 10:07:42 »
My stock of fertilizer is low and I intend to enlist the help of the wooly creatures in the adjacent field. I want to turn it into tea but have no experience. Can anyone give me any practical advice from their own experience please?

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: sheep manure
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 13:18:02 »
Its bad form to answer a question with a question
but:
Are they your sheep?
Do you have permission to collect? Remember sheep are not always friendly, especially when with young.Many flocks are kept just to impart fertility into pasture
Freshly gathered they are best composted.They will contain grass and weed seeds .If you know the farmer, doubtless he could supply some older material . Ideally you want composted droppings,(or compost from your heap )which may be 2 or more years old. The simple method would be to fill a sack* with this and immerse in a waterbutt for some weeks.This will give you a liquid similar in appearance to Tomorite. Some folks go to the bother of aereating the drum with a pump. However, the object is to feed/boost the microbes in the soil and within the root. This is the way to get nature working faster.Be cautious in applying to new growth without further dilution.
*a porous bag of a size you can easily lift, could be hessian although polypropylene is longer lasting. 'Nora Batty' stockings would do! Personally, I collect a 'free' onion sack from the local takeaway.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 16:27:06 »
I want to turn it into tea but have no experience.

Well each to their own, but personally I prefer English breakfast!
Not mad, just out to mulch!

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 22:17:00 »
I use the orange onion sacks and old tights and soak for a good few weeks and use as a liquid feed and then after 3 or 4 weeks the contents of the bag go on the compost.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 08:21:26 »
Only problem with home made fertiliser is that it will not go through a fine hose on the watering can. I have lots of versions- rabbit poo, comfrey, weeds and nettle.
The rabbit poo I rub the dropping to help break down.
Howeve ancels farmer is correct in their caution, if you are wandering about a field belonging to someone else at any time, but especially at present it will not go down well.  If you are on good terms with the owner, ask, and remain that way!

LOL at Beersmith :toothy10:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 09:37:35 »
I agree with Ancell as well and the same applies if you lift the risings from a mole heap.

Possibly more so as I suppose you are actually removing the farmers land,tenuous I know but fact. I am afraid.

Then there is the fertiliser ( manure tea) technically you can't give the brew to other people either.

Funny thing the law at times!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal