Allotment Stuff > Swap Shop

Covid-19 Seed requests

<< < (3/4) > >>

JanG:
Sure it's the law. I was simply addressing the "intelligent, moral" part of your argument. There is another point of view on that and I simply wanted it represented. That part is debatable; the fact that it's law isn't - unfortunately to my mind.

Obelixx:
The law in question is designed to protect flora and fauna in the receiving country form rogue elements in seeds and plants arriving untested and from all sorts of different growing conditions.

I don't see anything unintelligent or immoral in that, but plenty of stupidity and selfishness in deciding to flout the law because you find it inconvenient.

It's not as tho the UK or the USA or Canada are short of legally distributed seed sources.

Vetivert:

--- Quote from: Silverleaf on April 02, 2021, 04:48:02 ---I really wanted to try Double Red sweetcorn this year, but I'm struggling to find it anywhere as Realseeds have sold out. Anything su in a colour other than plain white or yellow would be amazing - I'm drooling over the huge variety available in the US! Happy to pay for seeds/postage if anyone has anything suitable. :)

--- End quote ---

Silverleaf, I can provide Double Red if JanG hasn't already got you covered. And Hooker's Sweet Indian, which is blue and quite tasty. Breeding project?

Though I'm sorry I have to remind you that it is ILLEGAL to admire foreign seed catalogues. There are plenty of British catalogues and their pictures are quite satisfactory thank you very much.

Obelixx:
Premier Seeds have sent me this info which is no use to me now but may be of interest to some of you -

https://mailchi.mp/27a32f7d8cb5/items-back-in-stock-10135486?e=7f9954918f

chriscross1966:

--- Quote from: Silverleaf on April 02, 2021, 04:48:02 ---I really wanted to try Double Red sweetcorn this year, but I'm struggling to find it anywhere as Realseeds have sold out. Anything su in a colour other than plain white or yellow would be amazing - I'm drooling over the huge variety available in the US! Happy to pay for seeds/postage if anyone has anything suitable. :)

--- End quote ---

Remember that pretty much any open-pollinated sweetcorn on a site will ruin F1 varieties downwind.... I found out that the hard way when growing BLue Hopi upwind of my main sweecorn  that year turend about half the cobs into basically maize rather than sweetcorn...... subsequent experiments were done with the F1's on the plot (where everyone else is growing F1's and the open pollinated one9s) at home ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version