Author Topic: Allotment produce for long-term locked-in - what are the rules?  (Read 2999 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
Last month I posted about an allotment project to distribute surplus veg to the long-term locked-in in our community. I'm happy to say there were many growers who will be supporting it and we may try to extend it as an on-going annual activity.

There are government guidelines on food hygiene for community and charity food provision...but a read through had no mention of fresh veg produce from allotments.  Would be very pleased to hear from anyone who is already doing this and the requirements for compliance.

Many thanks 

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Allotment produce for long-term locked-in - what are the rules?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 17:28:15 »
Without experience beyond awareness of the requirements of Country Markets, I would suggest that you speak with the Environmental Health Officer for your District Council. It would be simplest if your distribution is within one authority, else you will find differing hoops to jump through!
There clearly is a potential for a problem to be hypothocised, liabilty in this day would spoil your good intentions.
I would be interested to learn how you determine who would qualify for your benefactions, I have in mind the problems that befell the Harvest- giving distribution of a local church, with a 'fall out' from a few of those who were excluded and also some of those who were included (and felt patronized! )
Good Luck.
AF
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 17:53:48 »
Thanks AF...in our community, the parish is coordinating the various help initiatives and that has been communicated to all residents. They have provided the opportunity for individuals to register as “in need”...and I think out of a population of c.2k, there’s also a reasonable idea of who may be in need but may not have registered. It’s not perfect but it’s a start. I’ve also suggested that surplus to the surplus goes to NHS and other frontline carers.  Anyway, there must be other very similar projects...I’ve asked the National Allotment Society for any guidance. 

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 08:56:58 »
if by 'parish' you mean the CHURCH OF ENGLAND, then get the diocese to confirm that they have public liability insurance, for your scheme, then all is good.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 09:11:26 »
Glad you have decided to ask the NSALG Newspud... I worked with them for about a decade and my understanding is that this would be fine.. it only gets tricky from Allotment Law perspective if you are selling crops. You can sell a surplus, but you can't plan a surplus to sell...

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 12:44:13 »
Thanks for both your responses. Yes..CoE parish and surplus definitely a free donation.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal