Author Topic: Garden design website  (Read 2932 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Garden design website
« on: April 17, 2020, 16:08:49 »
Hello ....Can anyone recommend a good garden design website. I don’t mind paying for it. I am a beginner and during lockdown would like to redesign my small back garden using software.

Duke 🙂
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Garden design website
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 17:04:31 »
Cannot help, but nice to see you on here. Been a long time.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 17:51:00 »
I don't know of one either but you need to start by measuring your garden accurately and drawing it to scale including orientation so you can see where sun and shade will be.

Then make a list of things you want and don't want - terrace, sunny seating/dining area, shaded seating/dining area, pond, pergola, arbour, shed, greenhouse, work area for potting/compost/cold frames, BBQ, trampoline, Wendy house, dog run and so on.   Draw some of those t o scale and cut them out and shuffle them around on your plot plan.

Then look at what you need to disguise - neighbouring buildings and windows or eyesores and also confirm your soil type as this will affect things like chocie of plants for drainage, alkalinity or acidity, lawn or gravelled or paved area........

Have a read of this info from the RHS and follow the various links -

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/design?awc=2273_1587141826_d03cd7a5f44188d30766c234e4e10a4a

Lots of garden design ideas on Pinterest too.
Obxx - Vendée France

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 19:15:46 »
Ooh thank you obelixx  Yes Palustris it has been a very long time! I guess it’s because during these worrying times I find myself with more time on my hands🙂

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 19:44:02 »
I googled this and come up with 13

I haven't looked at them but might be worth a look as  they are all free (well that is what google ad says)

https://learn.g2.com/free-landscape-design-software

The 2 disc set up I have is dated 1998 so it was not a surprise not to find it in a Google List

Glad to see you back ...Tg

I also found this one it has videos on what it covers;

http://smallblueprinter.com/garden/screenshots/video3.html
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 20:46:05 by Tee Gee »

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 21:54:15 »
Thanks TG! I will check out your suggestions. It’s good to be back too! Hope you are keeping well and safe!🙂

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 08:03:13 »
Having once worked in that line of business I have looked at quite a few design programmes. I think quite a few of them are dreamers who have never worked on the ground, just have  ideas in their heads. You know what you like and are the best person to design your garden with your own theme. Remember it has to last all year, it is no good just having a flourish for a couple of months. It comes down to cost as well, measure up and work out what you want to spend, you will not be able to replicate a 'Chelsea garden' unless you want to spend at least £750 per square metre and also expect the garden to take 3 years to perfect and maintain, there is also no such thing as a low maintenance garden.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal