Author Topic: History repeating itself  (Read 2970 times)

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
History repeating itself
« on: April 07, 2020, 21:55:02 »
For the third year in succession a pair of Robins have built a nest among the shrubs in our front garden. Rather uplifting watching them busily coming and going, especially in these uncertain times.

But today, not so good. For the third year in succession the ginger and white cat that lives locally has found the nest and shredded it, killing the single chick and leaving the mess for me to clean up.

Of course, as is widely recognised, the cat is unable to catch the adults. They are still in attendance, rather distracted, perhaps attempting to repair the nest and try again.

I have a theory that domestic cats do great harm to our bird population. Not by killing adults but by destroying nests as in this case. Robins often build nests at low height making them especially vulnerable.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: History repeating itself
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 22:17:17 »
Try installing a special nesting box for robins but higher up out of cat reach.
Obxx - Vendée France

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 07:33:26 »
The RSPB sell a cat deterrent which sends out a high pitched noise they apparently don't like whe a PIR is activated. Hubby's grandson not too keen either.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 14:31:03 »
Try installing a special nesting box for robins but higher up out of cat reach.

Alas, I fear there's not much that can be done.  We did put up a box. The birds ignored it and nested a bit higher up. The nest is in among some quite dense foliage where a honeysuckle twines through a crab apple tree. Cats climb trees.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Doug Kelson

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 20:11:38 »
Robins will make 2 or 3 nesting attempts during the year, potentially producing as many as 15 fledglings (maybe more). It only needs one nest to succeed to more than replace itself and its mate. Robins might live long enough to reproduce in subsequent years, too. Robins that nest early may have inadequate cover to protect their nests; maybe growing plants and greater experience will allow later nests a better chance of success. I am a birdwatcher with seven decades of experience and have not noticed a decline in Robin numbers except in urbanised areas where, for example, front gardens have become car parks and hedges replaced by high fencing and, yes, cats find many of the nests or kill just-fledged juvenile Robins and other creatures in their millions, each year.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal