Author Topic: Can anyone identify these weird 'flowers'?  (Read 3394 times)

Galette

• Quarter Acre
Can anyone identify these weird 'flowers'?
« on: April 10, 2020, 18:28:59 »
Happy Easter folks!  I found these two strange stems/plants in my garden (South Wales) yesterday. When I touched them clouds of pollen were given off. Never seen anything like it before.  Any ideas?  Sorry, the photo has been turned on its side...

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Can anyone identify these weird 'flowers'?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 19:24:39 »
My first impression is Mare's Tail

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 19:52:07 »
I can see what you mean TeeGee but I have a vague memory of something else... might come to me later...

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 20:03:43 »
Equisetum equisetum - close cousin of mare's tail with thicker stems and usually grown as an ornamental bog plant in pond margins.  Not as bad as the weed but not one to let loose either.
Obxx - Vendée France

Galette

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 22:25:47 »
Thanks guys, yes - Equisetum equisetum would seem to be right.  I also have the thin and wiry mare's tail in my garden unfortunately.  So that's two nuisance weeds to get rid of.  Much obliged for the identification!

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 00:05:21 »
I've seen those in amongst rubble where buildings have been demolished and the land has gone back to the wild. I'm in S Wales too. Maybe they like it here lol

Doug Kelson

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 19:24:26 »
Horsetails, not Marestails. Horsetails are of very ancient lineage and giant ones (over 30 metres tall) feature much in coal measures from the Devonian epoch. today, the tallest species reach around 4 metres (in central and south America). The illustrated plants are the reproductive structures which produce spores, not pollen; they are not flowers. Marestail is an aquatic flowering plant, Hippuris vulgaris.

Comiserations, if you have an infestation of Equisetum arvense; it's a quickly-spreading, smothering weed and very difficult to control. Plenty of advice on that on line, though.

Galette

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 10:28:21 »
Thanks for that Doug, I am now well informed!  Not good news however, but I'm ready to wage war on them.

Galette.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal