Author Topic: I'll give it a miss today  (Read 1773 times)

ACE

• Hectare
I'll give it a miss today
« on: April 04, 2020, 12:24:15 »
Warm and sunny so I expect the world and his dog will be at the allotment this weekend all going through the gate and all wanting to chat as they pass. I need to riddle some compost for my seeds at home, the pile is at the allotments. Looks like an early morning trip tomorrow.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: I'll give it a miss today
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 13:38:11 »
I am only going when the need really arises but I am lucky enough to have a garden.  A lot of our members live in flats so I'll leave them to it for today..
Plenty to do at home and indoors anyway..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 13:57:22 »
Warm and sunny so I expect the world and his dog will be at the allotment this weekend all going through the gate and all wanting to chat as they pass. I need to riddle some compost for my seeds at home, the pile is at the allotments. Looks like an early morning trip tomorrow.
Its light by 06.00am. Back for breakfast. Keep the noise down, its eerily quiet, the birds are deafening!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 14:00:20 by ancellsfarmer »
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 16:07:08 »
I am recovering from a tummy bug so all I've done is go and check the tomato and chili seeds in the polytunnel.  No sign of any movement there yet but the garlic and onions are coming along well.   The wind has swept thru the broad bean patch and flattened a lot of them.

OH is manfully turning compost heaps.  Some luscious stuff in there for when I plant out courgette and squash plants.

Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 12:31:12 »
Up bright and early, got my jobs done, all part timers here nobody else on the site until after eleven. Three weeks ago I was a month behind, now I am so far ahead I even got the bean canes up so I can see what space I have to rotate my other crops. Just a scruffy corner to clean up and then I can weed out the herbaceous border I made to brighten up the entrance, all perennials so just a hoe through and clean the lawn edges.

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 07:46:16 »
I avoided the allotment yesterday and did some work on the garden at home. It's very much a spring garden so nice to have it tidier,

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 08:02:37 »
I agree ACE had more time to tidy the plots this year... been leaving the direct sowing but think the soil will be warm enough now... annual weeds like speedwell germinating well...

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 08:40:09 »
I was down the plot yesterday - surprisingly the site was empty.  Couple of people arrived while I was there but most people seem to be staying away still
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal