Author Topic: celebration lunch this Easter  (Read 1310 times)

peanuts

• Hectare
celebration lunch this Easter
« on: April 12, 2020, 09:37:59 »
Hard to celebrate Easter far from family in our case.  But just been and harvested our first peas this year, to go with roast lamb for lunch!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: celebration lunch this Easter
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 10:40:40 »
That's early!   Did you sow them last autumn and grow them under cover?  I have a very healthy patch of broad beans which have been flowering for some time but nowhere near making beans yet - in the ground on the south side of the polytunnel so sheltered from northerly winds.
Obxx - Vendée France

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 11:42:05 »
Yes, early!  Had wanted them earlier, (but not this early!) as we'd planned to have a large family gathering for a week in Anglesey :crybaby2: I sow them late Oct/beg Nov in open ground.  They come up quite quickly, and I then drape some fleece around them in middle winter.  With the warmth this winter, they got off to an early start.
Hey ho, we've exchanged lots of WhatsApp messages, photos of garden flowers, and one video of us today playing 'Jesus Christ is risen today' on flute and piano!
Much sadness, and much to be thankful for. 
Keep well everyone.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 13:15:27 »
Thanks.  It should have occurred to me to try peas in autumn too.  They definitely don't work here when sown in spring.
Obxx - Vendée France

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 05:54:13 »
They don’t work planted in autumn for me - or haven’t yet. They always get chewed to the ground by rodents, however thorough my defences are. .
I have one more thing to try though, which is bottle cloches round each small group of plants.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal