Author Topic: Fertilizing soft fruit  (Read 1622 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Fertilizing soft fruit
« on: March 31, 2020, 17:12:37 »
On the 14th I was going to put growmore on my gooseberries, raspberries, currants and apple trees.  However I didn't get round to it.  I then got the Coronavirus and am still ill.
Do you think - assuming I can move again - that fertilizing everything at the weekend will be ok?  I don't have a temperature but am so breathless.
I am worried I am going to have so much weeding to do!!!
I know compared to others this is not a lot to complain about.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Fertilizing soft fruit
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 18:32:39 »
Sorry to hear you have the lurgi

Regarding your fertilising!

Personally I would leave the job until you are more up to it!

Growmore is  slow release fertiliser so as I see it wouldn't matter if you delayed applying it.

This year you could water in a liquid fertiliser when the fruit forms, and to be quite honest I think this would be more beneficial than doing it now.

As I see it by the time the fruit is forming any Grow-more applied now may have dissipated/ leached away by then!

My advice is; Fruit plants are resilient and it is coming across to me is; that your are not as resilient as you normally are, so think of your own health rather than your plants.

Hope you get well soon!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 19:00:10 »
I agree with TeeGee.  The advice that you can go out 7 days after first signs of infection is not what the WHO say.  They advise 14 days and this is where, if and when I get it, I will take my advice.  One of the things to do, to avoid complications, is rest.  Please rest and don't stress to do anything, certainly not put fertiliser on fruit bushes and trees.  If you are still breathless, you are not ready. 

My best wishes to get over this soon, Davholla and please take it easy. Your health comes first    :wave:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 19:08:18 by galina »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 20:16:07 »
Best wishes, hope you are better soon. Some years I have missed spring feeding tree and bush fruit and can rarely tell....

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 23:40:31 »
Mmm. you need to fertilise yourself first, lots of good food and rest, it may take a while, so look after you first.

I wish you a very speedy recovery XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 19:09:05 »
Thank you all,  I am still recovering but getting there.  I will fertilise them next weekend - I hope.
Sorry for the late reply, I was a bit out of it for a time.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 19:49:13 »
This year I have been using liquid seaweed and the results in just a couple of weeks have been fantastic everything just looks more alive and happy with its lot. My blueberries were looking very sorry for themselves but have perked up considerably in the last weeks with a twice weekly spray of the seaweed.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 21:04:45 »
Just dropping in to second, third etc the advice *Do not *uck yourself up for a few fruit bushes! They are easier to replace than you if you overdo it.

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal