Author Topic: Setanta Potatoes  (Read 978 times)

Plot22

• Half Acre
Setanta Potatoes
« on: March 31, 2020, 15:39:01 »
Last year for the first time I grew 2 rows of late crop Setanta potatoes as I could not source Manitou which I had grown for a number of seasons. I also grew Harmony and Desiree as a main crop and Lady Cristi as my preferred earlies. I wrongly assumed that with Setanta being a late red it will boil well in cooking. Big mistake take your eye of it and it is mush. It will steam if you watch it but will not boil. The crop in quantity and size was really good it keeps well as I still have a bag and a half left BUT when peeling them I cut them in half before I peel them as I find that a grater percentage of the larger ones are going brown in the middle. I am unsure whether this is detrimental to eating them but I do not want to risk it. Taste wise as a mash or chips is excellent but I will not be growing them again. I have this year stuck with Harmony and Desiree as a main crop and are trying Bonny and Amour originally intended for the local show but that will not happen this year so I am just growing to feed the family

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal