Author Topic: How's everyone doing?  (Read 9330 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Re: How's everyone doing?
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2020, 08:36:33 »
Apart from a few idiots the distancing seems to be working, unfortunately it came too late and quite a few are passing away now. They keep saying we are so many weeks behind Italy, but I expect it was their form of greeting that spread it so badly, the same with Cosmopolitan London which also has a big spike. Instead of a nod and hello it's a big hug or touching cheeks. The midlands which have a lot of retired miners are also getting hit hard. Non industrialised areas are getting away lightly at the moment that is why we don't want people driving to the countryside for their walks. Even if they are distancing they are still touching things. Hospitals are not so well equipped out in the sticks and cannot handle a spike. We also keep hearing about it is not as many deaths as seasonal flu, which is stupid as this has come on top of seasonal flu. I treat everybody as if they have it, I spray everything I have to touch and my hands are washed countless times a day. Every action is though out. I hope we will get through it, but nothing is a certainty.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2020, 08:51:11 »

Re the corona virus

It becomes a bit blurred at the edges when on has to keep up with 4 countries rules. Me and some famly  here in Canada, my son in Holland, my mothers family in the UK and my US friends just over the border.There seems to be so much mis information too so it is hard to get a handle on it.

Maybe this isn't the right place so forgive me, but can someone fill me in as to what it is like over there.My niece came over from the UK for a few weeks last year and was planning to come back this year but it would seem not much chance of that. We get very little info about the UK virus here that I feel a bit in the dark and don't like it.

This is the definitative:
www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public
There is SPECULATION in many forms of social media, to be taken on face value.
It is true that only 141000 of the 69,000,000 population have been tested, with an 18% positive rate.
Nobody knows how many more might be positive as only hospital patients and staff are tested.
Stay well
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2020, 12:05:26 »
BBC news website?
Obxx - Vendée France

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2020, 13:37:15 »
Instead of a nod and hello it's a big hug or touching cheeks.

I'll have you know that we are not all huggers and face kissers here.  A good firm handshake and maybe, if really pushed, a slap on the back has always sufficed for me!  :tongue3: :tongue3:

In reality of course we are all squashed together on a daily basis.  Even after the distancing rules were announced people were still packing the tubes out.
This was from last week.  I have never so thankful for my bike...

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2020, 17:55:51 »
There's an independent UK fact checking site - fullfact.org - which may be helpful and interesting.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2020, 18:47:01 »
Yes our tube train was busy as well

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2020, 19:42:46 »
Thank you all for the help, it looks pretty bad, the tube pictures stunned me though.I is really bad in the US ehich starts just 20 minutes drive from me but so far in Canada we have had a lot less than them. I haven;t been out for 5 weeks,My daughetr or SIL have gone out occasionally. If you remember we have two houses on the same property so although we live together we are actually apart. They give me a veru wide berth. I fall into at risk group nd they aren;t taking chances. But sometimes we can sout in the sun with the chaors about 20 feet apart. I am getting groceries delivered, actually I have done so for about two years now, bit it is like playing roulette. Getting a tome slot is difficult but I have worked out when the two shops add more to them. It is sort of like the banks, they trip over at midnight so I stay up and grab one as it trips. I have always beena shopper that keeps a spare of everything big like the 24 pack of toilet tissue, etc, one pack i  use and another 23 pack waiting so I am OK on that. Folks laugh at my "Sleeping with the Enemy pantry, everthing lined up like soldiers and I keep each row topped up, same with meat. I have an inventort book by the freezer and replace ane rotate as I use, so I am well stocked, I just need the few things that are perishable etc.

I often wonder how long it wo=ill last, I think a very long time..how about you guyd?
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2020, 20:25:16 »
Yes our tube train was busy as well
Good job we blocked your tunnel, Huh?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2020, 22:50:01 »
My daughter has got me making face masks now.. there seems to be a big difference between yeah and nay  for  wearing them but it is gradually leaning to the yeahs as the days pass, so I am starting.

Snug fitting by the nose and shaped, not  like the pleated ones..

I think that it will stop folks with it passing it on maybe, but not so convinced it wil, prevent folks from getting it.

My daughter goes out very rarely but I guess it gives me something else to do.

XX Jeannine

By the way, I apologise for many of my posts with horrendous spelling mistakes, I really can spell but have difficulty typing if my pain level is high.

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2020, 12:52:58 »
Been in lockdown since 20th March, was prepapred as we had been due to go to Japan and the school had said we needed to self isolate for 14 days when we come back. But we had prepared for 14 days and not the expected 3-6 months were now looking at.

I dont mind being locked down i am managing to get deliveries although my chicken for sundays dinner was not delivered. But were alive and healthy.

My big issue is that we were due to get a new kitchen which will mean the old one being removed and about 10 days of rewiring. I am worried that i will be left withough anything :( i know small problem compared to dying....

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2020, 13:04:25 »
we were due to get a new kitchen which will mean the old one being removed and about 10 days of rewiring. I am worried that i will be left withough anything

Dare I say it you are actually quite lucky relative to a friend of ours.

The kitchen fitters made a start prior to the 'lockdown' and by the time of the 'lockdown' they had stripped out everything apart from the 'kitchen sink'and that is all she has had since the lockdown.

At least she can wash up after a microwave dinner! :BangHead: :coffee2:

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2020, 21:35:52 »
Thats our concern due the amound of electical rewiring that will be needed.

Builder has promised to leave us with something but your right we have to plan for it. I am buying a single inducting ring from amazon which will go to my parents when they have there kitchen done next year. And will precook some meals  i can either cook in microwave or on the single ring.

Busy few days for us though so not really noticed the lockdown mostly spending the day in the garden and sorting pond following heron attack and its subsequent drowning in pond and the damage it caused while dying.

Very behind on tomatoes, peppers and chillis but slowing getting there.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2020, 23:00:55 »
Greetings all,yes I have not joined the ""pushing up the daisies brigade "" just yet...boring Diabetic related issues have kept me low profile for what seems an age but in recent weeks ive actually been catching up in the garden....yes that's right no more Plot...just the same back garden we have been used to these last 6 yrs in Dorset......

still its good to see the same Old faces holding up the forum and sounds like everybody is busy busy doing what veggie folk do....plant and enjoy growing lots of stuff.

I trust this short message finds everybody in good health considering our current circumstances...but enough of that thankfully my love of the kitchen has seen me still enjoying cooking for Jude and myself.

anyway hope all are well and that you all have a successful growing season....albeit we cant seem to find anybody open to enable us to buy seedlings/plants locally....never mind im growing nearly all from seed so the challenge has been fun
and by Christ its good to get back out in the garden.

regards and stay safe all.xxx

Gazza

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2020, 23:59:56 »
Welcome back Gazza! Lovely to see you posting again - can we look forward to seeing some of your delicious recipes any time soon?

It's a tough time for all of us, so glad to hear you are able to keep busy.  I, for one,  feel very lucky that I have my small garden that helps to keep me occupied in small doses (restricted mobility). I feel for all those living in high rise apartments and in the middle of towns.
Stay safe!

Tricia  :wave:

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2020, 07:33:31 »
Great to hear from you, Gazza!  You've been missed. Glad hyoid are both still active and relatively well.  Keep that way. Have you done any fishing recently?  You could keep isolated in your boat!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2020, 10:34:40 »
Good to see you back Gazza.  You should check out ACE's posts.  He's ahd health issues too and has managed to reverse Type 2 diabetes and lower his blood pressure to a healthier level too.
Obxx - Vendée France

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2020, 13:24:08 »
Welcome back.
Good to see you're 'back in the fold' and not (just) fishing.
Admit to stalking you on other places WSF
Tight garden lines.
A2D

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2020, 14:02:55 »
Has anyone heard anything of JonnyCo recently? I miss his pictures of a quick picking of more than I grow in a week even if it made me envious!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2020, 14:16:21 »
He last posted on December 28th.  Hope he's okay.

Tricia  :wave:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 15:16:41 by tricia »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2020, 14:27:12 »
Has anyone heard anything of JonnyCo recently? I miss his pictures of a quick picking of more than I grow in a week even if it made me envious!

I seem to recall him mentioning that other plot holders on his allotment site were ribbing/teasing him about his comments on A4A, so he decided to refrain from submitting articles to A4A

Whether that is still the case I do not know perhaps if you PM'd him Paul you might get the correct reason!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal