Author Topic: Conservatory  (Read 1706 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Conservatory
« on: March 22, 2020, 08:28:38 »
Since I lost my poly tunnel in the winter, I stupidly put off ordering a new one, now I doubt if I could get one delivered. So the old ripped cover is going to be laid on the conservatory floor and I shall turn the place over to food production. I have a million and one supermarket flower buckets, a big pile of compost and packets of seeds, so easy to do. If we do have to go into lockdown at least I will have a crop of something. I might even dig out a patch in the orchard to plant some cooler growing crops. The ground might take a bit of breaking as it is really stony, but  with nothing else to do why not. We should all be writing to our MP to get an exemption from possible lockdown for allotment holders, food production must go on even small amounts.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Conservatory
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 20:14:42 »
Since I lost my poly tunnel in the winter, I stupidly put off ordering a new one, now I doubt if I could get one delivered. So the old ripped cover is going to be laid on the conservatory floor and I shall turn the place over to food production. I have a million and one supermarket flower buckets, a big pile of compost and packets of seeds, so easy to do. If we do have to go into lockdown at least I will have a crop of something. I might even dig out a patch in the orchard to plant some cooler growing crops. The ground might take a bit of breaking as it is really stony, but  with nothing else to do why not. We should all be writing to our MP to get an exemption from possible lockdown for allotment holders, food production must go on even small amounts.
You may find it more satisfactory to put the orchard plot under the no-dig regime. No worry regarding stones, no damage to the root system (or your back!), simple, quick and effective. Why not try it?
 Its been an absolute boon to me this season in particular. The beds are slightly higher than the surrounding paths, and now ready to plant, despite the underlying London clay.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 22:02:56 »
Good idea, the ground is really hard and stony,  I don't need a huge plot, how deep does it need to be?

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 08:33:22 »
Pick an open  area where there are few perennial weeds. Mow grass to within a blade of ground level. Place a covering of cardboard* tight to the ground.Unnessary to water this year as the ground water is so high. Strips of 30" width are easy to maintain, without walking on the bed.Cover with up to 4" of compost/well rotted FYM /topsoil.Whatever comes to hand.
 Establish your plants in modules or pots and plant out as usual. No need to wait for cardboard to rot, or surface to settle. Slugs and /or wireworm may be an issue, Plant more, on the ' infantry ' principal.
4 (or multiples of same) such beds would give a rotational scheme for subsequent seasons Just apply 1-2" compost at end of each season (Oct)
The deluxe version has woodchip paths between, the chip applied above the cardboard, which should overlap by , say, 4" to exclude light. Thats all it does.
*can be sourced for free , the Amazon boxes are everywhere, if you look.
I will await your photos with interest.
AF

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 09:24:58 »
Good instructions there, thankyou. I have shared it with a lot of my non gardening friends that might want to grow their own.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 12:46:14 »
Good instructions there, thankyou. I have shared it with a lot of my non gardening friends that might want to grow their own.
So is the orchard to become a ' pirate' allotment site !!, or are you planning to let them convert it, knowing that a high percentage will give up, leaving you with the (prepared) space ?Sounds like a plan.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 17:14:55 »
Blimey no. I would not get within two metres of some of them in normal times. Plus  bikers gardening might be of interest to the local constabulary. The morris men might be different as they all have hankies to cough in and bells to shout unclean, unclean.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal