Author Topic: Rant and fear  (Read 1679 times)

peanuts

• Hectare
Rant and fear
« on: March 20, 2020, 16:06:38 »
I've been out in the garden hoeing, (well-isolated, we're lucky) getting crosser and angrier and more desperate about what I've read this afternoon on the Live info   re covid 19. - that some London hospitals now at critical stage, and yet people are still allowed to congregate in pubs, bars and restaurants. it is madness. Why, oh why haven't they been closed like France and other European countries?  Suggesting that people don't go is useless. 
Why does it matter so much to me?  Because two of our immediate family members are NHS consultants, working flat out and without masks, and i'm so scared for them,  that's why
Sorry rant over.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Rant and fear
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 16:58:19 »
So very very sorry.  These are worrying times for many, but especially under equipped frontline workers.  I shouted at the telly yesterday when one of these idiots in charge insisted that not having proper safety equipment for NHS staff is just a logistics issue, not a supply issue.  Coupled with not testing NHS staff, it is close to criminal negligence, I think. 

Well there is still the Darwinistic 'survival of the fittest' 'herd immunity' principle around, coupled with nice language that it will 'cull' the old and weak and will be therefore even beneficial to the economy to let this rip through the population unchecked.  So they are still doing far less than they could.  And when it comes to doing what a european country is doing, well that's a no no for starters.  In Britain the 'herd immunity' principle of no testing and letting it rip was conceived.  Seems that the powers in charge got a fright when they were told that this means over half a million deaths and are trying to row back a little, but not nearly enough.  Also they push it all on the elderly and weak who must self isolate if they want to live, and do so without any help from the state, rather than put the responsibility on everybody in society to act responsibly and do their bit. 

So still no meaningful testing and still no proper measures to get this under control.   DD was told yesterday that DGS toddler can no longer go to his daycare and she will have to work from home, but will she still have to pay or not or will the daycare go bust and have to let staff go and all the other questions simply have not been answered, not been thought through by the government.  Many are wondering whether their job will still be there at the end of this. 

You have a rant here Peanuts,  I can only agree, it is incomprehensible how things have been dealt with. 

Stay strong.  As you said, we are lucky to be able to go out and garden.   :wave:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 18:18:19 »
Bars et al - all to be shut from now on.  Just announced.

Lots of people I know are self isolating and loads of others are ill - without testing they don't even know if they have had it or not.
Just got home from an emotional last school day - I'm going to make some bread and have a beer.  I'll be back there next week but only doing a day\week from now on.

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 20:58:00 »
My workplace is splitting shifts to half the number of people in at any one time as of Monday. We've all spent the late afternoon saying goodbye to people - without hugs or anything like that - who we probably won't see again for at least three months. It's been a very surreal day, it feels like waving people off to the front line.

Meanwhile SWMBO is worried about her mother - 75 and asthmatic - who reckons if she gets it, that's that, so all is not calm and happy, though the out-laws are being quite obdurate in their self-isolation.

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 09:44:46 »
For me it was an emotional day as I wont see many of them again if school closes to September.  I know we all move on but the manor of it was a bit abrupt - no time for goodbyes as we were all too busy.  Just a walk round the empty place before I left..
Still that's that and we move on and I am just going to try to keep in touch with friends and family and keep spirits up.  Trying to help where and when I can.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 10:05:29 »
It was predictable given measures taken on the continent to isolate people and slow down the progress of this virus.  Better to be safe than sorry and I hope everyone is able to manage their children's activities to keep them busy and safe too.   

Have just seen a teacher on the news complaining about exams provision and cancellations and saying the British are the most examine kids in Europe.  Not true.  There may be no GCSEs at 16 but in Belgium they are all examined in December and June and they all have to pass the required level in June to go on to the next year or repeat the year and that starts at age 6.  They also have to stay in school till they get their baccalaureate at 18 or 19 or 20........

At least UK schools are staying open for the children of essential workers and the vulnerable kids but it must all be very strange for students, parents and teachers having their lives so disrupted.   Time for social cohesion and creative thinking and, for the lucky ones, some gardening.
Obxx - Vendée France

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 12:01:51 »
It was predictable given measures taken on the continent to isolate people and slow down the progress of this virus.  Better to be safe than sorry and I hope everyone is able to manage their children's activities to keep them busy and safe too.   

Have just seen a teacher on the news complaining about exams provision and cancellations and saying the British are the most examine kids in Europe.  Not true.  There may be no GCSEs at 16 but in Belgium they are all examined in December and June and they all have to pass the required level in June to go on to the next year or repeat the year and that starts at age 6.  They also have to stay in school till they get their baccalaureate at 18 or 19 or 20........

At least UK schools are staying open for the children of essential workers and the vulnerable kids but it must all be very strange for students, parents and teachers having their lives so disrupted.   Time for social cohesion and creative thinking and, for the lucky ones, some gardening.
Sadly, it will be OK for the child with motivated, able parents, who could do no worse than at least pass on the knowledge that they themselves have, in an age -related way. However we have a society which has lost its way, too many youngsters have only a single parent at home, too often there are conflicts which overshadow the relationship ,disrupting life and introducing extra pressures. The loss of the routine of school will have a great cost, I fear.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 20:14:03 »
I am totally with you xx. I been off a lot of social media because of brexit and how people are acting at the moment is idiotic

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 20:27:53 »
It is likely that the shutdown on movement and schools and all the rest will be extended another 2 weeks in France in order to stop the spread of the virus.   It is worrying but manageable for us as we have no young children at home or elderly rellies and plenty to keep us busy in the house and garden for the duration.

Our main worry is our daughter - Possum - stuck indoors in a 3rd floor flat in Belgium and trying to get her project and thesis done for her Masters but not knowing when it can be reviewed, assessed, examined.   She too can only go out to shop for food or medicines and her flatmate is at home with her family.  We are keeping in touch daily thru FB Messenger and What's App.

No food or essentials hortages so far as, except in Paris, the French seem to be behaving rationally for grocery shopping.  There are huge fines imposed on loons who insist on going out without authorisation and everyone we know is being sensible.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal