Author Topic: Allotments - A response to food shortages/long-term isolation (Covid-19)  (Read 3058 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
Pressures on produce availability along with extended self-isolation means some in our communities will be going without.  Yesterday I started a project with my fellow plotters to devote this year's harvest to meeting that need in our own community.  i'm trying to give it some formal organization although others will simply donate their surplus.  Everything gratefully received.
Keeping it simple but main considerations:
- agreeing what to grow; co-ordinating the harvest; identifying those who need; deliveries

Criteria for veg selection:
- a manageable core number, say about 8-10 items
- things which can essentially be started from scratch now
- relatively easy-to-grow
- high yield
- the kinds of veg most people, especially elderly, are likely to use
- available sooner rather than later in the year
That led me to: Beetroot, Carrots, Courgettes, Lettuce, Peas, Potatoes, Onions, Radishes.

This was a spur of the moment thing rather than some long-hatched plan so I'd be very interested to know if anyone else is doing same and could share best practice etc.

Many thanks.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
and beans, tomatoes... if it goes on these .will kick in to. Always a good idea to help out in the community.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Broccoli and follow on lettuce such as cos, also courgettes.

There may be grants available for such a community venture.  Such a good idea.  Hope it will be well supported.

:wave:

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
Great idea. Have a look on Youtube at Red Gardens.
For the longer term staple crops Potatoes, Squash, Onions, Carrots he has A Simple Garden.

Infradig

newspud9

• Half Acre
Thanks for the Red Garden link.  Haven't previously come across this and looks like an impressive amount of practical advice.

I'll still put it out there and ask if there are other allotment groups doing something similar.  I'm a 10-year novice so keen to learn about best ways to co-ordinate harvest from some 30 or so growers for local distribution.

Many thanks

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
I don't have a lottie here anymore but have a big greenhouse and a lot of big pots,and several raised beds so I am planning on keeping 5 families in salads,vegetables  etc this season. I usually cook for a dinner where the homless come to eat but it has been cancelled, so my surplus won't be needed there, so the other families will get it.

It is not much but it is a little good.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cudsey

• Half Acre

I am growing extra lettuce and sowing extra tomatoes and other veg to give to neighbours friends and family so hope everything grows well this year
Barnsley S Yorks

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
If I send to our food bankin  normal years, they request no lettuce as it doesn't keep well as they don't have fridges but pretty much everything else they are grateful for
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal