Author Topic: Which electric heater for the greenhouse?  (Read 1619 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Which electric heater for the greenhouse?
« on: March 04, 2020, 21:02:05 »
At last I am going to get a power supply to my greenhouse at the bottom of our garden!. After using various paraffin and bottled gas heaters over the years and never been really happy with them an electrician is going to fit a supply.
I don't want too much. Just something to boost the temperature in March/April to allow germination and also to give tomatoes/peppers etc an early start when planting out.
A heater with a fan would also help air circulation and reduce fungal infections.
Has anyone any suggestions? I don't think I need anything very powerful but i would like it to keep a steady temperature in the greenhouse.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Which electric heater for the greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 21:26:53 »
Here are some details on my setup,hopefully it will give you some ideas

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/G/Greenhouse%20heating/GH%20Heating.htm

If you want any more info just shout!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 10:03:36 »
Further to Tee Gee's comprehensive reply, I endorse the fan heater recommendation.The 2kw rating is sufficient to react quickly to falling temperatures and the thermostat essential to prevent overheating. I have an early edition of this* and , despite spiders invading it(and sometimes bbq ing themselves!), it does the job.
*www.diy.com/departments/apollo-grey-electric-greenhouse-heater-2kw/5060031170672_BQ.prd
Please ensure that you prevent direct water entry (irrigation and condensation) and lift it above the floor, perhaps on bricks.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 21:32:29 »
Many thanks to you both. Always glad to get knowledgeable advice.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 19:08:57 »
Type into google 'heater with thermostat' and a lot of suggestions come up, some very cheap 2 kW heaters.  :wave:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 19:47:05 »
Type into google 'heater with thermostat' and a lot of suggestions come up, some very cheap 2 kW heaters.  :wave:
Please make sure that any heater you use in a greenhouse is tested and approved for use in a damp situation, and that the wiring is compliant with British Standards
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 20:54:52 »
No heater is approved for use where it is really damp.  The suggestion to raise it off the soil on bricks is common sense.  And all sold in UK are compliant to CE safety standards, there are no specifically British standards that I am aware of.  I have used a cheapie Argos 2 kW heater in the conservatory where I do all my early plant raising and that has worked for well over a decade.  :wave:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal