Author Topic: Bramble-resistant gloves  (Read 2615 times)

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
Bramble-resistant gloves
« on: March 01, 2020, 19:42:40 »
I have to contend with a vicious bramble patch before bud break, so I need some gloves up to the task. Any recommendations please? Cheers.

P.s. I can't be the only one who trips on the cut vines for them to whip up and lash me on the rear? A final f-you..

lezelle

• Acre
Re: Bramble-resistant gloves
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 06:28:09 »
I have tried several different gloves but now use welders gloves. Very thick and comfortable to wear.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 07:52:55 »
I have yet to find the compromise between tough enough to keep the thorns out but flexible enough to allow me to use secateurs

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 12:01:36 »
Thanks for the tip. Welders gloves may be the ticket, if I can find a pair small enough.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 14:00:01 »
I have yet to find the compromise between tough enough to keep the thorns out but flexible enough to allow me to use secateurs
Wear the 'armour' on the gripping hand and the 'flexible' on the snipper!
In days of yore, welding supplies shops kept split horsehide 'sleeves, a tube of leather with a knitwrist cuff, for arc welding. (protects against the sun-tan effect as well as globules of molten plasma running up the arm).
Such as these:
www.amazon.co.uk/Portwest-SW20TAR-Leather-Welding-Sleeves/dp/B008RNOGNO
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 14:11:27 by ancellsfarmer »
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 16:34:52 »
Hi...I use PVC water-proof, knit wrist but wear them over a cotton inner.  Find it works well even with vicious brambles...even if a bit sweaty!

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 12:31:52 »
I usually find that I can do the pruning with normal gardening gloves, but need leather gloves for picking up the canes.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 15:22:54 »
I'm with newspud, the red rubberised builders gloves, I wear thick hand-knitted inners. I'm cutting back not only brambles but wild rose and hawthorn in an attempt to clear some neglected ditches, this combination is the best I've come up with. I can barely use the secateurs though, and it plays havoc with arthritic joints. Oh, the joys of gardening.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal