Author Topic: Daffodils coming up blind  (Read 2552 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Daffodils coming up blind
« on: March 01, 2020, 17:49:06 »
Up until 2017 I had daffodils coming up every year without problems.  Then late 2017/2018 I dug a pond and had to move some bulbs -last year they all come up blind and this only one has flowered, any ideas what to do?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Daffodils coming up blind
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 18:44:13 »
I have been having the same problem over the last two or three years and I have put it down to recent weather patterns

We have not had a real winter as we once knew it for the past few years i.e. they have been relatively wet and mild.

To my knowledge Daffodils need a good cold spell to kickstart them into growth, and they do not particularly like wet soggy soil and this is what they have had.

But worse than that March & April have been quite warm months this last few years which again makes them suffer in my opinion!

What the warm months have done is shortened the flowering period to around a couple of weeks in some cases.

I feed my bulbs when they are in flower so that the feeding is available to plump up the bulbs for the following season once flowering is finished.

Usually this feeding process took place for around 5-6 weeks as the leaves died back but this process has been shortened a great deal because of the warm temperatures we have had in the past couple of Aprils. This resulted in the leaves dying sometimes back within a couple of weeks which is too short a time to feed/plump up the bulbs resulting in poor flowering in subsequent years.

OK this is only an opinion but I do think something like this is happening.

I also think the same weather patterns are responsible for pollinator shortages e.g. the bees have been appearing in April because it has been warm enough for them but sadly there is not  enough flowers around for them to feed from, so they starve to death. But worse still the last couple of Mays have been quite cold and the pollinators that survived April would have probably died from the cold Mays.

Now based on the weather we have since Christmas which we know has been wet and windy  do you think we will get.................... March Winds & April showers or will we get Flaming June weather.

Give me back the 4 seasons again anytime, rather than the topsy Turvey weather we are now getting!

Sorry for this note of despondency...Tg

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 20:10:28 »
I have been having the same problem over the last two or three years and I have put it down to recent weather patterns

We have not had a real winter as we once knew it for the past few years i.e. they have been relatively wet and mild.

To my knowledge Daffodils need a good cold spell to kickstart them into growth, and they do not particularly like wet soggy soil and this is what they have had.

But worse than that March & April have been quite warm months this last few years which again makes them suffer in my opinion!

What the warm months have done is shortened the flowering period to around a couple of weeks in some cases.

I feed my bulbs when they are in flower so that the feeding is available to plump up the bulbs for the following season once flowering is finished.

Usually this feeding process took place for around 5-6 weeks as the leaves died back but this process has been shortened a great deal because of the warm temperatures we have had in the past couple of Aprils. This resulted in the leaves dying sometimes back within a couple of weeks which is too short a time to feed/plump up the bulbs resulting in poor flowering in subsequent years.

I also think the same weather patterns are responsible for pollinator shortages e.g. the bees have been appearing in April because it has been warm enough for them but sadly there is not  enough flowers around for them to feed from, so they starve to death. But worse still the last couple of Mays have been quite cold and the pollinators that survived April would have probably died from the cold Mays.

Now based on the weather we have since Christmas which we know has been wet and windy  do you think we will get.................... March Winds & April showers or will we get Flaming June weather.

Give me back the 4 seasons again anytime, rather than the topsy Turvey weather we are now getting!

I think your observations and deductions are correct.  Would like a 'flaming June', but am content to wait until June for it. However, some settled, drier ,bright intervals with moderate temperatures would be nice....
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 13:25:22 »

Although everyone else near me seems to doing well - of course they didn't rebury them all like I did!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal