Produce > Recipes

Sausage Making

<< < (2/3) > >>

hippydave:
You did remove the skin from the belly didnt you, I leave about 1/4" of fat on and then chop and mix with shoulder before putting it through. These were my last attempt using my own pork.

Jeannine:
I make my own and use part belly and part shoulder.I also make my own Pork pie as it is not avaiable here. If you have your sausage meat ready after seasoning, just take a good teaspoon, flatten it an  fry it, then you will be able to adjust herbs etc to how you like the, I like majoram in mine, plus other things

peanuts:
Not made sausages myself, but our butcher friend makes  superb sausages, all meat, no additives, except herbs and spices.  Soooo good. So different from UK supermarket sausages, and even farmers' market ones.  So keep experimenting!
But we do make our own pâté in bulk, and so mince our meat.  To stop it blocking up the mincer I always cut the meat up in smaller pieces first, maximum a couple of cms.  Otherwise it is really difficult.

Obelixx:
Just before we moved to Belgium in 1991 I actually bought a sausage making kit because I was fed up with the offerings locally and in the SM.  Never used it.

Belgian sausages, as in France, are proper meat and fats with herbs/onions/spices but no rusk and no mechanically recovered crap.  Butchers have their own recipes and in supermarkets you can see the butchery team mincing pork and flavourings for the SM's own brand.   There are seasonal flavourings too especially for black and white pudding - cabbage, onion, grapes, leeks, apples - tho I still prefer the irish version with some oatmeal in or a Bury pudding.

BarriedaleNick:
I think a lot of it is just trial and error and you get better over time.  The Kenwood does tend to get blocked a bit so the meat is best chopped first and different cuts do tend to behave differently so try a few different mixes.  The best bit is that you can add what you want or leave them vanilla...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version