Author Topic: getting a bit anxious  (Read 13198 times)

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
Re: getting a bit anxious
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2020, 21:25:26 »
1 or 2 people per 300 sq yards seems sufficiently isolated to me

Read that as fertiliser- oops!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2020, 23:09:58 »
We ran out of milk a couple of days back, so a bit reluctantly went to a local store today. Luckily it was fairly quiet, so  taking care to stay a good distance away from the few other customers we were putting a few items into a basket when two men walked in wearing heavy masks.I must admit that we felt a bit of panic at first, but everything was fine. They had just come in to rob the place.

:toothy10:
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2020, 23:22:42 »

And now I am worried that my gallows humour may offend some members.

So I will send my sincere best wishes to you all. My hope is that we all get safely through this. Take care. Keep smiling and keep gardening!
Not mad, just out to mulch!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2020, 06:54:55 »
Beersmith laughter is the best medicine, when I was at work on the parks and gardens and needed cheering up I used to go to the gravediggers tea hut. Funniest blokes around.

pumkinlover

« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2020, 07:09:49 »

And now I am worried that my gallows humour may offend some members.

So I will send my sincere best wishes to you all. My hope is that we all get safely through this. Take care. Keep smiling and keep gardening!

Well it will not offend me, ex-nurse we are the worst.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2020, 09:03:52 »
Well Im off to school today to see what will happen. I work in IT so i may end up being required to attend even though the place is shut - I am still employed after all.
I was In Portugal on Monday and the difference was stark.  Every taking it very seriously - nothing open in the evening, no bars, shops or cafes.. 
BUT the big shops had plenty of everything - Lidl was limiting the amount of people in the shop, no one was panic buying and you could get everything you needed.
Popped out to Sainsbury's yesterday - loads of people milling about but no meat, no fish, no rice, no pasta, no bog roll, no fruit, no veg - seriously nothing except some duck breasts!
A mate went to work yesterday and said she still couldn't get a seat on the underground.  I fear London is going to have catastrophic numbers in a few weeks.
Loads of our staff are off with temps and even though I wasn't working yesterday I spent hours online trying to get staff set up for remote work.
I expect London to go into max lock-down soon.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2020, 14:04:08 »
Yes, the difference here in SW France is very different too.  Not saying it is perfect, certainly not in Paris by all accounts, but here no shortages, and people are taking it very seriously indeed, and have been doing for 10 days now.  No shortages in shops locally and loo paper shelves are full as normal. 
We can only go out with a signed and dated piece of paper, saying which of four absolutely essential reasons we are having to do.  On pain of  on-the-spot fines of well over £100.  And my goodness the gendarmes are really imposing that.
Have to say though, that we are very fortunate.  We have a large garden, and plenty of home produce, and eggs and milk from the farm next door. But goodness knows when we will next see our lovely four small grandchildren in the UK :sad10: :sad10: :sad10: :sad10:
Take care everyone

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2020, 14:10:07 »
Did my weekly shop this morning.  Very serene with quiet roads and a calm SM.  No patrols and no panic buying.  Only things in short supply are frozen green veggies and organic eggs but I got local free range so that's OK.  Staff and customers all polite and smiling and maintaining social distancing.  Only 2 wearing masks.

I found everything I needed for the pantry and house including some new paintbrushes, wood filler, radiator paint and clear acrylic varnish so I can DIY and paint to my heart's content.  However it's warm and sunny so this pm I'm playing out in the garden and veggie plot.

Take care everyone.  It looks like we're in for a long haul and this thing will go on for weeks.  Stay Zen.
Obxx - Vendée France

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2020, 19:55:44 »
Went to local Sainsburys in Brum today to pick up a prescription. We have a friend who is housebound and totally bedridden with severe MS. We rang her yesterday and she said could we get her some milk and frozen meals as the carers tried to get some but the shop was sold out!
The hoarders are making it difficult for housebound people.
Interesting to hear Portugal and France don't have this sort of problem.
Why are us Brits so scared of running out of loo paper? Sanitiser, paracetamol, food I can understand - but loo roll!

Must be some primeval fear deep inside us!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 20:21:39 by George the Pigman »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2020, 21:11:18 »
Apparently it started with the Japanese who import all their loo rolls as they have no domestic source for wood pulp.  Good old social media has spread the story and others are panicking too.

I do despair of all the idiots behaving badly.  Shameful.   It's happening in Paris - huge city, little sense of community - but nothing like what's happening in the UK.
Obxx - Vendée France

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2020, 08:05:00 »
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2020, 08:17:56 »
I saw a white van yesterday with written in the dirt on the back "No toilet rolls kept in this van overnight".

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2020, 09:11:03 »
It will not be long before people have stocked up, It is a good job we are at the off season stage on the plots as I reckon we would all have been robbed of produce. They can hoard all the tinned stuff they like I do not use any apart from tinned tomatoes. Freezers can only hold so many ready meals, mine is full of fruit and veg from the plot, meat I can do without, not that I want to, but I could always go to a friends farm butchery. There is also a lovely weigh it yourself shop near us which will said it will deliver to regular customers, oats, pulses and lentils a plenty  We have a few easter eggs for the grand children but it will most probably be a loo roll hunt this year.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2020, 14:05:51 »
From our shopping trip today (for 2 weeks to reduce infection chances) we got most stuff or easy substitutes, but only a couple of rolls of kitchen towel.  OH will have to find the hacksaw to turn it into loo paper.  Now should we go for halving the width of the roll or for an economy narrower version by creating 3 rolls out of every kitchen towel roll?   :happy7:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2020, 15:59:44 »
Yes, the difference here in SW France is very different too.  Not saying it is perfect, certainly not in Paris by all accounts, but here no shortages, and people are taking it very seriously indeed, and have been doing for 10 days now.  No shortages in shops locally and loo paper shelves are full as normal. 
We can only go out with a signed and dated piece of paper, saying which of four absolutely essential reasons we are having to do.  On pain of  on-the-spot fines of well over £100.  And my goodness the gendarmes are really imposing that.
Have to say though, that we are very fortunate.  We have a large garden, and plenty of home produce, and eggs and milk from the farm next door. But goodness knows when we will next see our lovely four small grandchildren in the UK :sad10: :sad10: :sad10: :sad10:
Take care everyone
Regarding the grandchildren; have you considered enabling a Skype account, to gain the comfort of image exchange. Depending on their ages, they may enjoy 'playing you up'- at a safe distance!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2020, 16:03:04 »
I am currently using FB messenger to chat with my daughter in Belgium to let her know what we're up to and find out how she's doing - final year of Master's and cooped up in an all be it comfortable apartment but on her own.   We have several What's App (??) chats a week too.   Camera on my PC kaput and hers is dodgy so no Facetime but it would work well otherwise.
Obxx - Vendée France

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2020, 18:53:43 »
Just thought people might want to know there has been clarification about the rules of going out for exercise. Michael Gove has confirmed that going to the allotment counts as the once a day exercise.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/24/uk-lockdown-gove-tries-to-clarify-confusion-over-rules

There are strict rules about hand washing, keeping your distance etc. Our allotment society has provided us with guidelines.
Of course its a personal decision whether one goes or not and certainly you shouldn't go if you have the virus or are isolating because you share a house with someone who has it.

Also most of the garden centres near us have closed down although one is offering deliveries or collection at a safe collection point.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 18:57:37 by George the Pigman »

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2020, 08:54:13 »
I have just seen the protective gear they have given my wife as she is a carer a plastic apron gloves and a dust mask. I have also told her to pack up her job.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2020, 08:42:13 »
Here in Canada we are not on total lockdown in my area. The city next to me , about 20 minutes drive,  has several cases, new this week, and to the left I have the US state line to Washington  , also 20 minutes,where it is bad. We can'lt go there though. I am on isolation because of my age and chest problems, so I haven;t mean out for a month. Everything is pretty much closed down, pubs, restaurantchemists are open but on ess hours, many banks are closed. School kids are not expexted to get back until September.

I have to say I am proud of our Premier, they are doing tons of things for folks who are not able to work and have put tons of money arounf for these kind of things. We are all paying the lowest rate of electricity, their is a freeze on student loan repayments, no interest on morgages, and they have  frozen all landlords right to ask tenants to leave if they can;t pay their rent.

I am fine, very isolated, and as I am a bit of a sqirrell, I always stoch my panyry and freezers in the late Fall and then in April I start using evrything up and take it easy over summer, then stock up again , so I am fortunate that I am fully stocked with pretty much everything right now, so could easily go a few months without shopping.

Anyway  friends,stay safe, keep well.. it will all get back to normal eventually.. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2020, 17:05:06 »
From our shopping trip today (for 2 weeks to reduce infection chances) we got most stuff or easy substitutes, but only a couple of rolls of kitchen towel.  OH will have to find the hacksaw to turn it into loo paper.  Now should we go for halving the width of the roll or for an economy narrower version by creating 3 rolls out of every kitchen towel roll?   :happy7:
Caution, the high wet -strength kitchen roll will clog your drains. Not a situation you want at this, or any time.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal