Author Topic: getting a bit anxious  (Read 13228 times)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: getting a bit anxious
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2020, 19:43:16 »
For heaven's sake!

The virus is like flu - passed on as water droplets after coughing or sneezing and by transfer after contact with such droplets on the hands.  The seeds would not have been carriers or even infected and yes, definitely best to buy from local or UK suppliers because seeds from elsewhere can carry unwanted plant pathogens such as the ones killing of box and ash and rhodos and olives
Obxx - Vendée France

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2020, 09:50:52 »
I work for Nottingham trams where i come into contact with hundreds of folk daily, a lot of which are foreign students from the universities, I see passengers coughing  and sputtering all the time, me and my colleagues are constantly coming down with coughs,colds and sore throats ....in the past couple or three months I've had the flu that put me in bed for a week , just got over that only to come down with a chest infection and had to go a course of antibiotics. So yes I'm worried....it will only take one to slip through the net as the NHS struggles at this time of year as it is !

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2020, 11:06:29 »
I remember as a child there was a public health campaign on TV and presumably in newspapers and so on "Coughs and sneezes spread diseases" so cover your mouth and wash your hands thoroughly.

How hard would it be to run such a campaign again adding social media to the mix.  It would help enormously.   Maybe time for tram and bus drivers to be protected again by screens between them and passengers.
Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2020, 13:08:44 »
 "Coughs and sneezes spread diseases".... this and things like "No Spitting" signs on busses and the like... came out of pioneering work of Drs Like Dr Niven who was a medical officer in the Manchester area during the 1918-1919 Spanish Flu pandemic. Things like closing Cinemas and Theatres as well to avoid crowds. It was very successful and the Death Rate in Manchester was much lower than comparable cities. It still appals me the amount of spitting in public theses days...

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2020, 13:23:26 »
Footballers spit a lot and on TV too - they should be fined and shamed every time.  It's disgusting.

Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2020, 21:12:41 »
Getting worse isn't it? The 'It will get better as the weather gets warmer' has been shown to be wrong, The Canaries is warm all the time. Self isolate yeh right, who is voluntarily going to give up their wages when they could  already be on the breadline? 

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2020, 07:21:04 »
Ace you are right.  That is what annoyed me yesterday about the 'official' advice.  Self isolate, but they will still sanction you when you don't show up for an appointment, anybody self employed will not be able to do that either.  No provision has been made for self isolated people at home to be medically supervised and have regular screening.  Stay at home, feel well or feel unwell and have no provisions in, then what?  And the rest of the family too?  This has all not been thought through beyond the catchy phrase 'self isolation' and because of that it will not work.   

:BangHead:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 07:26:54 by galina »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2020, 10:25:35 »
Must admit I've wondered how they're going to manage the whole medical certificate/sign off process so people get paid and also the logistics of supplies.  We have a well stocked pantry and freezers but not everyone does. 

On the other hand, this bug is not yet as virulent or as lethal as, for example, bubonic plague or post WW1 "Spanish" flu which was actually a bird flu from Kansas.

Meanwhile, common sense still applies.  Make sure you and yours are covering your mouths if you cough or sneeze and washing hands regularly and thoroughly with soap and water, not antiseptic wipes or gel which are less efficient.  Eat healthily for a full range of vitamins and minerals to boost your immune system and avoid unnecessary crowd situations.
Obxx - Vendée France

pumkinlover

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2020, 13:16:27 »
I have to say that I am not happy that there is no restriction on travel.
This virus only gets from one country to another by people flying about the world.
So unpopular though it might be, to me at least the sensible action would be to ban non essential travel.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2020, 13:50:55 »
Profits come first, lives second, they will not even call it a pandemic because it will affect the stock markets. It will all come down to the less well off losing money with  self isolation before business takes a hit.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2020, 14:50:30 »
Businesses are already taking a hit - tourism here losing Chinese customers, manufacturers not getting Chinese components and materials as their suppliers have closed, travel all over affected, shortages of all sorts of supplies building into the system and so on, even face masks!

This virus is killing fewer people worldwide so far than seasonal flu does in one UK winter.   

If you have a health condition, take precautions about where you go and whom you meet.   

Common sense is needed, not fear-mongering and worry.
Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2020, 16:25:10 »
It would get here without flying... just take longer to arrive. It will blow itself out only once it has been around the world. At least it doesn't seem as virulent as the "Spanish Flu", I wouldn't recommend Pandemic 1918 by Catharine Arnold as light bedtime reading at the moment...

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2020, 07:45:31 »
One of our sister schools has closed although it is a self imposed measure as no one has tested positive yet.
We have been asked to make sure all IT and comms are working so that everyone can work remotely and we have a family that has self isolated on advice after returning from Italy = again no one  has tested positive.
It seems only a matter of time before it blows up in London as it is such an international city.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2020, 09:46:21 »

This virus is killing fewer people worldwide so far than seasonal flu does in one UK winter.   

If you have a health condition, take precautions about where you go and whom you meet.   

Seasonal flu is as well as and for health conditions every time an expert starts talking that it is not a killer unless you have ………….. and then they reel off my ailments, they might just as well say don't worry, you will not die, unless your name is Ace.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2020, 09:57:24 »
West Yorkshire school pupil tested for coronavirus after Italy ski trip

She lives in my village apparently.....fingers crossed her tests turn out negative

So yes it is getting nearer to home!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2020, 10:06:20 »
West Yorkshire school pupil tested for coronavirus after Italy ski trip

She lives in my village apparently.....fingers crossed her tests turn out negative

So yes it is getting nearer to home!
Blimey, If that was near me I would move to an island

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2020, 10:08:14 »
ACE - you can use self defense measures, just as you would with flu.   Personal hygiene re hand washing and using tissues when coughing or sneezing and not associating in groups where others may be less careful.   

Given your recent health problems and the measures take to improve you're not going down the pub anyway.  You're retired so no journeys on crowded buses, trains or tubes.  If you feel ill, call 111 rather than going to the doctor's surgery.

Common sense - and remember to look both ways before crossing the road!
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2020, 11:21:48 »
Blimey, If that was near me I would move to an island

Good idea .... what do you charge for B&B?

pumkinlover

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2020, 12:28:07 »
I understand your concerns Ace but best not to dwell too much.
My  personal anxieties are about Mr PKL who has had an awful lot of health issues in the last few years. He doesn't go out and about that much but I am using public transport and meeting a lot of people when I am volunteering. The thought of bringing it home to him is a worry.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2020, 13:10:17 »
I was listening to one a them travel experts yesterday on the wireless encouraging folk to snap up holiday bargains the virus is creating ....surly it would be better to cancel all none essential fights as the spread seems to be picking up speed? 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal