Author Topic: Runner beans deleted from National List  (Read 1679 times)

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
Runner beans deleted from National List
« on: February 10, 2020, 18:37:26 »
Not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this.. however, thought it was important enough to let you know there's a runner bean named 'Wey' that has been deleted from the List . Fortunately, there are still a few packets left in stock on Justseed.com or from Mr. Forthergill's for those who want to grab a pack and keep it from disappearing altogether.

Never grown it before, and not much info around. I plan on trialing it this summer so whether it is a variety that has been removed to be renamed remains to be seen. Some 'self-setting' ability so it's probably a variety with P. vulgaris heritage.

Speaking of deleted runner beans, 'Kelvedon Marvel' has recently bitten the dust over here (1950-2016) but is alive and much esteemed in American heirloom circles. It's available over there from the SSE https://blog.seedsavers.org/blog/quintessentially-british-the-unjustifiably-shunned-runner-bean-1
Anyone here lucky enough to have tried it?

gray1720

• Hectare
Re: Runner beans deleted from National List
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 20:57:39 »
Well I for one am very sad to see that Kelvedon Wonder is no more - as an Essex boy I was delighted one day to spot it in Franchi's catalogue as "Meroviglio de Kelvedon"!

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 22:04:55 »
Kelvedon Wonder the pea is fine and everywhere. Keveldon Marvel is the runner bean that's been deleted.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 08:25:16 »
Not tried it.. has Painted Lady gone as well? I haven't seen packets on shelves for several years...

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 19:24:13 »
That'll teach me to read for comprehension first...
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 19:48:14 »
Can any of you confirm whether the variety Wey was originally from Fogwills Seedhouse, Guildford which at one time operated from Shalford Mill, on the River Wey ? between 1833 and the mid 1960s
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 21:21:15 »
Painted Lady is still registered and widely available online I believe - brick & mortar retail may be a different story altogether.

Sorry @ancellsfarmer I don't know anything about the origin of Wey, but I hope others may be able to elucidate more.

It is claimed to have self-setting ability which makes me suspect it could be one of those new French bean crosses by Tozer Seeds, which is also in the vicinity of the river.

According to the plant variety database it was on the Netherlands national list from 2007 to 2017.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 07:00:43 »
I prefer to buy from a brick and mortar retailer... not just because I'm a Luddite but because the choice online usually means I buy way too much!

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 09:02:51 »
I'm the same Saddad....any excuse to go into a garden center!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal