Author Topic: Squash id please  (Read 1375 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Squash id please
« on: February 08, 2020, 16:07:00 »
Your help is required please.  I wonder if anyone has any idea on the name of a squash which I grew last year.  First I must apologise for not taking a photograph of this squash but it didn't cross my mind and I have now peeled it and cut it into chunks ready to make into a soup. 

The squash is the size and shape of a rugby ball with green and yellow stripes.  The skin was very hard and a peeler was non effective.  I couldn't even get a knife through to cut the squash in half.  I left it a couple of days and then had another go at it today.  I managed to get a small knife between the skin and the flesh and the skin came off in small brittle pieces.  Once it was off, I was able to cut the squash up.  It had some lovely seeds inside which I have saved but I probably won't sow them again as I suspect this squash could be a cross of some kind.  The flesh surrounding the seeds was very stringy, almost like a spaghetti squash but I thought the skins of those were yellow, cream or white. 

I would be grateful for any suggestions as to what this squash is please?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Squash id please
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 16:32:59 »
Maybe Stripetti?  A cross between spaghetti and delicata.
Obxx - Vendée France

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 17:19:29 »
Thank you Obelixx, it certainly looks like a Stripetti.  I grew spaghetti squash about three years ago so they must have cross pollinated with my Delicata. 

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 17:39:59 »
Good.  That was easy then.
Obxx - Vendée France

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 12:55:15 »
Good.  That was easy then.

Yes.  Thanks for your help.  I had no idea what it was.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal