Author Topic: advice please  (Read 3720 times)

LesH

• Half Acre
advice please
« on: January 20, 2020, 20:32:44 »
on our site of 80 plots we use wooden stakes with numbers nailed on,to identify our plots.  the trouble is the stakes rot off at ground level after 2 > 3 years. so it's an ongoing job replacing them.   
    does any one know where we can purchase metal or plastic stakes as replacements.   or tell us how you have over come this problem.
   With thanks Les

Palustris

• Hectare
Gardening is the great leveller.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
Re: advice please
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 20:49:20 »
Your wooden ones will last an awful lot longer if you dip the bit that goes in the ground in bituminous paint and let dry or paint a couple of coats on them.

look at the range of plastic

labels available for example from this place

https://www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk/tools/plant-labels/angle-head-labels
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 07:22:20 »
First of all, why are you doing this? It should be in the tenancy agreement for plot holders to number their own plots. Change your rules and for a start make everybody with a water butt  put their plot number on it or maintain their stake. Or is it an OCD thing where they should all be the same.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 07:45:15 »
We have had three re-numberings in the thirty years I have been here... usually initiated by an OCD committee, the last set were a thing of beauty, but with ACE I'm inclined to the "life's too short" attitude.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 08:53:31 »
It should be in the tenancy agreement for plot holders to number their own plots.

Yeah we have that rule but it isn't really adhered to.
I made OH a fancy one at work on the acrylic cutter but it is still stuck on to a piece of varnished wood..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 09:44:38 »
As long as the allotment plan has the plots numbered so it is easy to refer to, why do we insist on actual numbers on the plot. The postman does not call and if you need manure etc delivered you should be on plot to make sure 'outsiders' do not trespass on other plots. I have a number on the shed as it was already there. But my previous plot was call Rob's plot by everybody else, the same as Jim's plot, Terrys plots and so on.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 11:03:09 »
One of my plots, 118, is still referred to as Mrs McCaig's Plot and she's been dead about 25 years...

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 12:47:13 »
We put them on when I was Secretary because no-one else on the committee ever had any idea who the members were............
By providing a plot list with the numbers and members I though it might help.
There are 30 plots!

nodig

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 22:11:34 »
Allotment gates are the biggest chore surely?  Mostly locked by a coded lock.  So every day you have to stop get out of the car, unlock the gate and open it, get back in car and drive through and stop - get out of car again - lock gate - get back in car and drive to plot - exhausting.  Have a rest for 30 minutes and get ready for the return journey.  I just don't get time to make wooden stakes with numbers on it.

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 11:49:23 »
I always use a piece of uPVCfascia board with numbers screwed to it and mount it on a piece of uPVC suitable as a post hammered into the ground.   Most window companies will give second hand bits of uPvc to you for free.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 20:40:54 »
An exercise in 3 Rs:

A single galvanised U bolt (under 50p) will attach a decent plank offcut to a bit of steel pipe - discarded mop handles, broken drying racks, baby buggies etc. are all good sources (any steel thicker than 1/2mm will outlast a wooden stake, a bit of gas pipe will outlast you and the next 3 generations).

The plank on top will last decades if you don't paint it. Avoid plastic numbers - I extract a plate from a stainless steel beer can (~10x15cm) and cut the numbers out of the shiny side. Nail the resulting black-on-silver notice to the plank with a black plastic bag behind for contrast (a bit from a roll of damp-course is better). If you need to show the 'holes' in the 689s then two flathead roofing nails will do a single 8 or any pair of 9s or 6s. The same method works for As & Bs.

Cheers.   

PS. My site insists on numbers (good). Unfortunately the "assessors" only look once from their own direction of approach and even then can't see things that everyone else can see.  I deal with their disabilities by trying harder - in the spirit of PC I have extra signs - one with roman numerals for those suffering from very advanced age, Braille for any form of blindness, and I'm considering binary for those who come from significantly more than 20,000km away.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 20:43:35 by Vinlander »
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 09:36:28 »
This is what I made for my wife after the one supplied fell to bits.

We got bored at work and started messing with the enormous laser cutting machine..

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2020, 14:30:42 »
Our tenancy rules say that the plot holder is responsible for displaying their plot number in a clearly visible position - but its very difficult to enforce!   We do have a site plan but for the last thirty or so years ten rod plots have often been split into two - a whole number and an 'a' - but the difficulty is that sometimes the whole number is on the right (as you look at the plot) and sometimes the left.   

IanDH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 13:33:57 »
If you really want them all to look the same try here - www.themetalstore.co.uk/
 1m x 26.9mm (1 inch) galvanised tube £3.26 inc VAT - it will outlive most of the plot-holders.  Over £70 total and delivery is free.

I have started using this instead of wood for most things as on heavy clay and wood rots really quickly.

Ian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal