Author Topic: Last of the Sprouts & Leeks  (Read 1335 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Last of the Sprouts & Leeks
« on: January 18, 2020, 12:12:31 »
Bright and sunny this morning so had a walk around the garden and took these pictures;

As many of you will know I gave up my allotments just over a year ago (Dec 2018)  and started altering my garden at home to produce a few edible crops but still keep it mainly as an ornamental garden.

I had a bit of an indifferent year that is; some stuff I grew did very well,  whereas other stuff was very poor in particular my Tomatoes.

But pleased to say I learned quite a lot (even at my age) so I will be making a few alterations to my  growing techniques this year.

As I was walking I took a few photos with my mobile phone camera hence the poorish quality of the photos :sad8:

Pics 1 & 2 Shows my last stick of Sprouts having grown around a dozen plants most of which performed quite well as you can see!

Pic 3 The last of my Leeks which I grew in a container as you can see. The results were not too good but at least they were flavoursome. This year I won't cram as many into the container as I think this will improve the size and quality.

Pics 4 & 5 I grew two lots of Carrots this year. The early crop (Sweet Candle) produced plenty of Carrots but they were quite small but very tasty! Again I put this down to growing them too close together.
(So another lesson learned) The late crop (Eskimo)that you can see here were grown in soil in a coldframe an performed quite well!.

Pic 6: Last year I grew my Garlic in a container and it didn't grow much bigger than the saved cloves I planted :sad8: This year I have bought some new stock.....fingers crossed....at least they seem OK at the moment!

Pics 7 & 8 is how my 8 x 6 greenhouse that I fetched up from the allotment is doing. I have loads of perennial plants on the go that I will be using when I have another go at  setting up my garden to contain more edible plants. I am not quite sure what I will be doing as yet but I do have a few ideas in mind so at least it will occupy my time in 2020.

Pic 9 is a sample of the edible stuff I harvested this morning which I thought was quite good for the middle of January!

So I guess Sunday dinner plate will be quite full!

Click on pics to enlarge!

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Re: Last of the Sprouts & Leeks
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 19:44:11 »
Good to hear your still "growing" well back home TeeGee . I picked my last leeks from the allotment a week ago but still have lots of parsnips to dig up and some brassicas.
It's been so wet this Autumn/December I haven't been able to do much digging so I am hoping it dries up a bit over the next few weeks.
I am thinking of moving over to raised beds away from my mainly "open plan" site as it's getting harder to manage the plot as I get older. Fortunately we have someone on the site who for a very reasonable price will rotavate plots as I am finding my rotavator too heavy to manhandle nowadays.
Anyone in the Birmingham/North Worcestershire area want to buy a 3.5HP petrol rotavator!!

It must have been some job to remove and reassemble that greenhouse!

All the best!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal