Author Topic: Sarpo Mira v Sarpo Axona  (Read 2602 times)

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
Sarpo Mira v Sarpo Axona
« on: January 15, 2020, 20:39:10 »
I have grown Sarpo Mira for a number of years and have always been pleased with the crop.   Someone recommended that I should try Sarpo Axona as they are better still - better taste, bigger crop and has the same resistance to disease.   Has anyone else grown Sarpo Axona?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Sarpo Mira v Sarpo Axona
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 22:37:32 »
I haven't grown S.Axona for a few years but from memory to me, they are somewhat tastier than S. Mira. I'm not a fan of floury potatoes so sadly neither are particularly to my taste. I don't remember much about the yield difference they are both heavy producers, perhaps more big big tubers with S.Mira. From a Late Blight perspective, S.Mira in my experiences is the more robust and longer-lived variety.

Another variety that might be of interest at some point, although not as Late Blight resistant as either of the above (in my growing experiences) is Carolus, the yield is good and they have better flavour though still quite a floury potato.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 23:27:29 »
I'm not a floury fan... that may be why I tried them and decided not to bother...

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 23:59:19 »
I grew Sarpo Mira for several years for their blight resistance but find them unexciting!

I agree with jayb that Carolus is worth considering and an improvement over Sarpo Mira for flavour. But I’ve also grown, Ambo, which is another newish blight resistant variety for the last two years. For me it’s been the best of the lot, great yield, pest resistant and a really good flavour. I’d say it’s bit waxier too.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 07:34:41 »
Might get some Ambo then... like to try at least one "new" variety each year..

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 17:19:20 »
I tried Sarpo Mira once and found that they went to mash quite quickly so not grown them since
Barnsley S Yorks

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 19:43:23 »
Thanks for all the replies.   I went to the local nurseries where I buy my seed potatoes today and they did not have any Sarpo Mira so bought Sarpo Shona which is a new one out and an early maincrop.  If I get the same results as I have had with Sarpo Mira in the past, I will be really pleased.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 20:29:57 »
What are people's opinion of the flavour of blight resistant potatoes vs non-blight resistant varieties. I have never grown the former as the early reports were that they were rather bland (Fortunately the last couple of years the blight was late or non-existent on our site so I got away with it!)

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 07:32:04 »
Certainly wasn't impressed enough to keep growing them... but Ambo seems to have a good press so might give them a try this year.

Jeanbean

• Half Acre
  • Make the most of today....
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 14:50:16 »
I have have grown Sarpo Mira for the past few years and have been pleased with the result. As others have said a good return with some nice sized potatoes. Little to no slug damage and have not found they have boiled away. They have made decent mash potatoes using a ricer. Not keen on them as jacket potato but all in all happy with them. Will give Ambo a try this season if I can find them locally.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 01:15:46 »
I remember growing both a while back in the early years they first came out. I thought the flavour was a bit bland... but dear Tim (?) suggested they'd taste better after some storage... Quick forum search - Mira had scab.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal