Author Topic: I'm a hoarder.  (Read 2429 times)

lezelle

• Acre
I'm a hoarder.
« on: January 11, 2020, 13:05:15 »
Hi Ya, I have been piling stuff up in my shed due to health problems this last year and did not do much on the plot. The kids gave me vouchers for xmas and I bought some fleece I saw on offer at a good price. I took it to the plot and thought as I have 2 sheds I will put stuff from the main to the storage shed. I started tidying the main shed I found reels of fleece on the shelves, damp proof membrane, seeds in sealed packets, and tools I have never used, these include the wolf multi change tools I have a like of and some still have the labels on them. I went to the small shed and the job doubled as I had to tidy it up and then found more fleece. damp proof course, shed roofing felt. numerous bags of screws, pegs, clips, hose clips and all manner. Still I can now get in the main shed and make a cup of tea, boiling the water on 1 of the 3 stoves I found along with a frying pan and 2 pots. I also found 2 solar panels I had forgotten about as well as the one rigged to charge the shed battery. I thought I will move some of the stuff on to others but then they might come in handy. I have had to look twice as I don't want to get rid not even of the greenhouse fixings and I don't have a greenhouse, Still maybe in the future LOL  :happy7: Anyone else have the same addiction? I bet we are all guilty.

pumkinlover

Re: I'm a hoarder.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 19:11:19 »
In this household we are the same and with multiple hobbies and interests it gets a bit untidy.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 21:25:57 »
Hi Ya, I have been piling stuff up in my shed due to health problems this last year and did not do much on the plot. The kids gave me vouchers for xmas and I bought some fleece I saw on offer at a good price. I took it to the plot and thought as I have 2 sheds I will put stuff from the main to the storage shed. I started tidying the main shed I found reels of fleece on the shelves, damp proof membrane, seeds in sealed packets, and tools I have never used, these include the wolf multi change tools I have a like of and some still have the labels on them. I went to the small shed and the job doubled as I had to tidy it up and then found more fleece. damp proof course, shed roofing felt. numerous bags of screws, pegs, clips, hose clips and all manner. Still I can now get in the main shed and make a cup of tea, boiling the water on 1 of the 3 stoves I found along with a frying pan and 2 pots. I also found 2 solar panels I had forgotten about as well as the one rigged to charge the shed battery. I thought I will move some of the stuff on to others but then they might come in handy. I have had to look twice as I don't want to get rid not even of the greenhouse fixings and I don't have a greenhouse, Still maybe in the future LOL  :happy7: Anyone else have the same addiction? I bet we are all guilty.
Are you really ,really ,sure it was YOUR shed??.......
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 17:07:49 »
you could start an allotment shop... selling stuff off to other plotholders!

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 08:13:30 »
Hi Ya, Funny you should ask if it was my shed as yes it is but I started tidying the garage and found even more stuff. Some I must of bought 6/7 years ago. I did consider going to a boot sale but then thought they may be needed and if I let them go it will be then I will need them. Anyway they are shiny LOL

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 11:57:20 »
I'm exactly the same - who said 'growing your own ' was cheaper but oooh the fun  :sunny: :sunny:

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 12:48:43 »
Almost impossible to quantify if own is cheaper... I tend towards seasonal eating... when things are cheapest anyway... but was shocked to see runner beans at £4:50 a kilo yesterday... then you get into the fresh/frozen debate.. just enjoy what you get!

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 13:48:04 »
My husband can out-hoard just about anyone. Garage full. Home shed full. Space on second patio behind garage full. Walk through at side of house full. Two allotment sheds full. Space at rear of allotment shed full space to side of second allotment shed full. Sigh. He really has a psychological problem when it comes to trips to the tip.

Once you can get a bit of a space cleared though, you'll wonder why you never did it before. Hoarders invest emotionally in "stuff" and feel they are diminished in some way by not having masses of things around (usually with the excuse that "its bound to come in handy one day")

Carry on de-cluttering - you'llbe so glad you did
:blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 23:28:28 »
Can't beat a good de-clutter apparently... never tried it myself!!!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2020, 10:04:50 »
Yes I am  a hoarder but I think collector is a nicer name, I have tons of craft stuff as I pretty much do them all so it is a lot of neededstuff..but..it is all neat and tidy packed on matching white bookcases in about 60 white boxes clearly marked.. does that still make me a hoarder XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2020, 10:34:35 »
Hi Ya, I think Jeannine yes it makes you a hoarder, sorry, collector. :happy7: You have everything clearly marked and I only wish I was the same. I have been looking for a paper pot  maker, I know I have one but can't find it for love nor money. I have given stuff to the charity shop and one time had some people looking in my box before I had given to the assistant in the shop. I have heard it's the same at boot sales that people are browsing before you even get it out on to the table. I do have good ideas but some never seem to come to fruition. I will probably find it when I am looking for something else. LOL. Never mind I do enjoy it. Happy collecting

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 08:37:26 »
I am planning a move later this year and I have only just realised the amount of stuff I have and need to get rid of.  We have a double garage full of "stuff" - Beer making stuff, growing stuff, 2 lawnmowers and 2 strimmers, tons of IT kit around the house, about 5 old latops, several PCs, monitors and about 20 hard drives - then there is all the wool, three sowing machines, material\fabric, old LPs I haven't played in 30 years, old CDs I haven't played in 15 years - it just goes on and on!
Most of it is going to get given away or sold cheaply.  My seeds are going with me though!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 13:47:35 »
Beware of chucking out sewing machines and fabric before checking what's available near your new home.   You'll be wanting curtains, cushions, new clothes and fabric shops are few and far between these days.   There are a few here but limited range of fabrics and quality so for specific things I need to go online where I can't "feel the width" or wait for a trip to paris or Belgium so I can do a raid there.

When we moved here I brought all my old LPS, singles and CDs and we brought garden tools and machinery, obelisks, plants (over 100 pots) and seeds and cuttings.

If you can, measure the rooms in your new home and then do scale drawings of those and your furniture so you can see what will fit where and what is better left behind.   Helps the removals team too as you can then label each piece with its destination and they don't have to ask every time.

Have fun sorting.
Obxx - Vendée France

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 19:10:23 »
We are off, as long s flights are not cancelled, to see a place in a couple of weeks so we'll be taking lots of pics and measuring up.
I think OH would have a fit if I got rid of the sewing machines and fabric but we do seem to have rather a lot of it!
Moving is always a good excuse to have a good chuck out..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 20:14:41 »
Unless they have special features you only need one good sewing machine but fabrics can be hard to replace.

I did have a good sort thru all mine and kept only pure cottons, pure wools, pure linens and special linings and curtain fabrics but even so there was still a lot left and, lo and behold, I've found sues for quite a bit of it. - curtains, doggy beds, cushion covers, clothes.......
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal