Author Topic: LATE SPRING THIS YEAR  (Read 1855 times)

ACE

• Hectare
LATE SPRING THIS YEAR
« on: February 20, 2020, 13:42:04 »
Valentines day is always the day the birds pair up and although we have a few songbirds sounding off and one blackbird building a nest it still feels like winter. My central heating usually gets turned off about now, it is still fully on. I worked in the Parks and Gardens for years and years and we always started cutting the grass about the middle of Feb as it was over 10 c.  the trigger for it to start growing. As it is so wet I cannot get on the plot anyway so it also looks like the planting will be a few weeks behind. A month to go until the equinox when I usually get a few thing in, so unless we get at least 10 days of dry in a row that ain't going to happen. I need to dig the plot over, It is rough dug but all puddled in the deeper bits, walking on it will only compress it too much. Tomato seedlings are showing, but nothing else in yet, I might get the peas going this week but not worth getting much else going , they will get too spindly by the time they get in the ground.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: LATE SPRING THIS YEAR
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 15:48:21 »
I'm told that March is likely to be a volatile and unpredictable month weatherwise with more stormy stuff.   Let's hope we don't get all that plus a Beast from the East!

I had planned to plant out my onion sets this pm but we have surprise heavy winds and rain - neither in forecast this morning.
Obxx - Vendée France

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 15:52:10 »
I seem to get caught out by Spring, it creeps up on me......I’m not starting anything early this year, mid March is fine for most stuff and everything will romp away in no time..,,
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 16:07:51 »
I am struggling for enthusiasm but I am sure it will come along with some sunshine..  although I am planning a move abroad so I may not do much this year..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 17:38:21 »
Oh that does not sound too good for March I was looking forward to maybe better weather than Feb but we will wait and see as everyone says everything catches up but maybe we will be running a bit late this year
Barnsley S Yorks

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 18:01:57 »
Here, in SW France, spring is earlier than normal.  We've not had the atrocious weather of the UK.  Lots of sun, and much warmer temps than normal.  So our sprouting broccoli that I reckon to pick in March-April, has been superb for a couple of weeks already.  And our November planting of peas are romping away too.  Yes, we are lucky down here.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 19:02:58 »
Spring must be on the way in Nottingham...folk with shorts on everywhere !!!!!!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 06:34:39 »
Spring must be on the way in Nottingham...folk with shorts on everywhere !!!!!!
  Postmen I expect

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 07:51:20 »
Well it's looking like another naff day here in Derby... drove to York and back in torrential rain, to yet another funeral. The Crem is by the river in Bishopthorpe.. and the river was rather nearer than normal, the sports pitches by the R Wharf in Tadcaster were flooded to half way up the goalposts... and we have more wind and rain threatened....

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 09:00:53 »
Meanwhile, on the 'farm' here in N E Hampshire, my no dig beds are all ready to roll. Yes ,it has rained more than average (09-+20,12 +42, 02 +40(with 8 days to go), but the beds , while wet are full of worm activity, the temperatures are positive and the surrounding grass is lush and vividly green, growing steadily.
Because most planting will be of plants, in due course, the main activity is back at home, with established onions from seed, first batch of brassicaes awaiting thinning in modules and early toms away in the house on a south facing window ledge,seeding in rotation to the plan, matters are progressing. Today shallots into trays (the carrier trays that garden centres use), with onion sets similarly treated in the next fortnight. Against the prospect of the current weather pattern continuing, as is forecast, creation/repair of cold frames and mini polytunnels will be the focus upon the plot tomorrow. With woodchip covered paths, all beds are accessible without the need to walk much upon them. We will overcome!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 09:18:18 »
Clear skies all night so a frost this morning.   Set to stay clear and sunny all day so, after we've done the weekly shop, I may just go and swo some broccoli in modules.   Can't get purple sprouting here so a tray of that too.

Looks like more wet and sog across the UK today.   Stay safe everyone.
Obxx - Vendée France

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 02:01:36 »
Here in BC we had an early spring and roses started to bud etc, then we got snow twice, each about a foot which is unusual for my area, so I think we need to get back on track here. Looking out for the last few days it would seem we are bang on right now. It might say Beautiful British Columbia on my license plate but you need wind screen wipers to see it through the rain. Back to normal
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 09:35:57 »
The local council has spent a great deal of time and energy deepening and cleaning roadside ditches and cutting back the hedges and verges.  Nevertheless the latest storm on Sunday night - Karine - has left branches and trees down and fields flooded to overflowing across roads as the ditches can't handle any more water.   It's another miserable grey, wet and cold day here but out in the potager the broad beans are in flower and the garlic and onions are shooting and we've had to net the latest brassica plugs which are in pots in the polytunnel as it's just too wet to plant out.

The snowdrops are over and all have lovely fat seedheads growing.  The early daffs have gone but many more to come along with species tulips and some hyacinths.   One really cheering note is the fat flower buds growing on the tree peony.   I was worried about that after the early drought and heatwaves last year but it's responded to deeding and watering when I could and is looking good.

More storms on the way so, given the current state of the soil and the impossibility of working it i'm quite happy for spring to take its time and not be too early this year.
Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 11:23:23 »
We went on hols to Malta last year at the end of Feb., (flew into the worst storm in 40 years) but it was warmer here the week before.. working outside in shorts in mid Feb.... I prefer to think the recent Springs have been too early and this one is a bit more normal, if not drier!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal