Author Topic: Testing seed  (Read 2901 times)

lezelle

• Acre
Testing seed
« on: January 11, 2020, 12:46:10 »
Hi Ya, being a hoarder, a topic for another day :happy7: I was having a tidy up in the shed I found some carrot seeds (Yellowstone) that have passed their sow by date. The packet was still sealed and airtight as far as I could tell, It was  sow by 2019 and packaged 2017. I am considering sowing a few in a small pot and put it on the window sill and give them 14 days and see what happens. If they show I will sow them this year. Anyone else had or come across the same/similar thing and have you tried to see the viability? Cheers all.

small

• Hectare
Re: Testing seed
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 19:49:19 »
If they are sow by 2019 then you are only a fortnight behind....I think the issue is more whether they have got damp or too cold in the shed, even though sealed. I've found carrot seed keeps beyond the recommended date much better than some other veg, brassicas are useless if kept in my experience and of course parsnips need to be new, but if I were you I'd try the windowsill thing, I'd reckon 3 weeks for carrots, let us know!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 17:09:57 »
I've always found carrots to be good for a couple of years longer... unless totally abused... germination rates do drop off but with any luck it will just mean less need to thin them out!

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 13:50:46 »
Got my husband to have a look in his "seed box" in the garage. There were old packets of seed in there from 1962!
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 14:24:48 »
Got my husband to have a look in his "seed box" in the garage. There were old packets of seed in there from 1962!

They are antiques.  Put them on Ebay, they might fetch a bob or two.  :wave:

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 23:30:27 »
I should think they are beyond help... they are almost as old as I am... and I doubt very much I'll germinate.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 19:04:08 »
Well its worth a go but I would get hold of some fresh stock just in case. I wouldn't want to end up having to resow later in the season because of a germination failure.
I had a bad experience using fresh seed tapes for parsnips. Only one came up from a long row whilst I usually had good germination with free seed. I ending up sowing free seed late in the season and got very few decent sized roots.Someone who used to sell seed said that as the tapes don't sell as well as the free seed they often lie on the shop shelves for ages and certainly for things like parsnips end up with low viability.
A lot depends on how old the seed was before it was packeted and how its well its stored in the shop/garden centre. I remember one garden centre where the packets where kept in the sun in the windows and the colours on the packet had been bleached white!
The freebies you get as a promotion in gardening magazines I also suspect are old stock from the seed companies near their sell by dates hence they need to be sowed the straight away.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 19:08:05 by George the Pigman »

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 23:25:57 »
but a free packet of a hundred will usually give 10-20 viable seeds...

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 07:38:52 »
Hi Ya, Just a quick update, I sowed a few seeds in a pot and put them on the kitchen window sill and they are showing well. A good number so I will be sowing them on the plot. Happy Gardening

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 08:29:15 »
Excellent... amazing things seeds....

early weeder

• Not So New ...
  • We are in windy Midlothian in a frost pocket!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 14:06:49 »
I sorted through my seeds when I put my seed order in. I'd rather sow the new seed than waste time using up the old out of date stuff first. Most packets have more than I need for a season. However this year I've kept this old seed and thought I might have a go at "micro greens" in a corner of the polytunnel. I'll just sow a  few rows now and then and see if I get a few green shoots for early salads.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 18:23:31 »
I sorted through my seeds when I put my seed order in. I'd rather sow the new seed than waste time using up the old out of date stuff first. Most packets have more than I need for a season. However this year I've kept this old seed and thought I might have a go at "micro greens" in a corner of the polytunnel. I'll just sow a  few rows now and then and see if I get a few green shoots for early salads.

My method of using such seed is for microgreens. You simply need to fill a half tray with fine compost, firm tightly and sprinkle quite densely,particularly if the seed is suspect. firm in again and lightly cover. Firm again Water once and place in a warm light place. Harvest at the 'mustard/cress' stage.Repeat at the rate you consume. Normally a half tray is 2 servings for 2.
In the attached photos, 1st image is 2017 Kohl Rabi (realseeds)
2nd is 'various' cabbages  etc 2016&2017 (real seeds)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 18:28:29 by ancellsfarmer »
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

early weeder

• Not So New ...
  • We are in windy Midlothian in a frost pocket!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 20:41:30 »
Thanks. I'll give that a go. :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal