Author Topic: Fig Tree Pruning  (Read 2849 times)

Susiebelle

• Hectare
Fig Tree Pruning
« on: December 17, 2019, 23:26:00 »
Hello, I have a very established Brown Turkey Fig Tree,  ( not Trained) possible 12 years old.  It was planted corrector, roots retrained etc, and has served me really well until this year. Growth gone mad and only producing 2 figs. Now I know I have to prune during the winter but has any one any advice on how to make sure I get a decent crop  in 2020 whilst cutting back the growth.  Really appreciate any thoughts.
Regards
Susan

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Fig Tree Pruning
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 23:33:58 »
If it is dormant ( knock off a few figs that won't develop and see if they bleed a white sap,) if they do it isn't yet, then take out the oldest (greyest) wood as the most fruits will be on the newer browner wood. 

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 23:43:22 »
Thank you Saddad - will report back

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 00:25:40 »
Have a read of the info on this link to the RHS site.   Scroll down to pruning and renovation.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=106
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 07:41:12 »
Watch out for sap on your skin. Nasty irritating stuff. I got some on my arm last month and it raised up my skin like hives.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 07:53:48 »
It doesn't affect everyone... I just find it sticky and it leaves a dark stain for a day or two... OH agrees with you and reacts quite badly.
Just out of interest does everyone else find the scent from the ripe fruit quite distinctive? I can always tell if there are any ripe, even if I can't see them but OH claims not to be able to tell...
aren't people very strange!

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 13:23:09 »
Thank you - looks like February would be a good month, I was hoping to get it done by then.  I also think , after reading RHS note that possibly doing all my pruning during dormant period has resulted in really vigorous growth I always thought it was a 'no no' to prune during summer.  Then I suppose that's why they are the experts.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 14:20:59 »
Isn't there an old gardeners' saying about winter pruning for growth and summer pruning for flowers and fruit?

You need to do both judiciously to get the best shape and vigour and then a good crop.

Saddad - never get ripe figs here.  The starlings move in and strip the tree just as I start to get excited about having some ready to eat in a week or two.  have now decided to leave that tree for the birds and have planted a baby in what will become a caged fruit bed with raspberries, strawberries and blackberries.

Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 16:46:20 »
I loose a few, but I'm fairly certain the squirrel is to blame.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 17:40:29 »
You report that you have had twelve good years so clearly know what you are doing and thus far your pruning and care have produced good results.  If you have been doing it right for so long I find it unlikely that you have suddenly started doing anything wrong.

So is there possibly another reason?   Is it possible that the roots have managed to break through the restraining container?  Figs without proper root restraint are known to grow more vigorously and put more into vegetative growth rather than fruit.

It would be very inconvenient if this has happened so I would see how next season goes. If despite all your best efforts the thing continues to grow like crazy with little fruit, I fear you will need to check this possibility.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 17:49:51 »
Sounds very likely Beersmith... don't know how I missed the bit about the previous 12 years...

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 22:11:37 »
Do you know I was thinking along same lines and thought I might layer a couple of branches (I have done so in the past but gifted them) may have to pot them up as I think my allotment is on borrowed time - councils got their eye on it for parking for the new Academy

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 10:18:03 »
Hope you are wrong about that Susiebelle... what action are your committee taking to fend them off?

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 12:30:53 »
I think we are waiting for the Lease renewal (anytime now) but I have to say our committee is not that proactive. 
Checking figs regularly they are still giving off white sap, also looked at the "Butt" which tree was planted in to restrict roots think I may start digging down around to see if roots have broken through - I reckon there is a good chance
Many thanks

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 17:31:50 »
Well fingers crossed on lease renewal. Checked my fig and still getting sap, will need to do it in the next week or two... not sure I trust February to be the coldest month anymore... if the butt has been breached cut the roots with a spade and put at least 12" of rubble and gravel outside the split and a paving slab or three to contain it again..

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2020, 11:43:28 »
Thanks Saddad, another big job to add to my list but worth the effort oooh I did miss the figs last year would normally still be eating the 'bottled' fruit on breakfast

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2020, 18:34:27 »
Hello all  :wave:,I know its been ages but I wanted to report back on my Fig Tree.

I did undergo the horrendous task of digging to bottom of retaining oil drum and yes lots of very thick almost branch like roots escaping, but persevered needed to take saw to some  then walked away with crossed fingers.  Well it did the trick I am back to full, really good, harvest this year enough to spread the joy around a little still leaving plenty for tarts, cakes not to mention preserves  :sunny:

Thanks again for everyone's help  :icon_cheers:

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2020, 07:26:56 »
Excellent... mine is producing well at the moment.. although something (?) squirrel has taken to half eating a ripe fruit....

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2020, 22:59:50 »
a bit like the Blackbirds with cherries they seem to know the exact minute they are ripe and then there in. Thank you again

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal