Author Topic: Tomato blight  (Read 1706 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Tomato blight
« on: August 21, 2020, 20:55:26 »
A week ago I posted about signs of blight on my outdoor tomatoes. By removing all the affected leaves I managed to stave off the inevitable until today.  After two blight free years the wet and muggy August weather has done for more than half my crop. I've set a lot of green fruit on my deep set kitchen window sill where I can keep an eye on them and hope they will ripen,  but all the plants with obviously affected fruit are now in sacks waiting to be taken to the tip by a friendly neighbour as I no longer drive. (He now has the use of my driveway by way of recompense for such favours. )

I've already made chilli jam and frozen enough sofrito for my needs so any of the green ones that ripen will be frozen individually in odd spaces in the freezer for making chutney whenever I get round to it!

Tricia  :wave:

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
Re: Tomato blight
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 07:05:12 »
It sounds like you’re definitely making the most possible with the situation. Had a quick google for sofrito. Sounds a great idea.

I’ve always composted blighted tomato and potato plants as blight is supposedly air borne rather than soil borne. I’m not aware of any ill effects from this.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal