Produce > Wildlife forum

Recommendations for North-facing wildlife planting please

<< < (3/4) > >>

gray1720:
Woooohooooo! The last tree has gone, and today I have caused a fence! The panel fence is up, next project is moving the shedette into the corner on some slabs, and then it's planting time!

Adrian

gray1720:
*Drum roll* *

I got the shedette moved and onto it's base which was nice - usually when I'm building something it's one of my mother's big ideas, and my brother is "helping". He wasn't, so I had no two hours of whinging about how put-upon he is, no cursing because the people who wrote the instructions were cretins and did them back to front, no cursing because one entire end of the thing has just been assembled back to be front and will have to be dismantled, and no throwing of hammers, folllowed by whinging because he has to fix what the hammer hit... He's 46, FFS, not 9! There was some swearing, mostly when I managed to thingy myself firmly on the hand with a lump hammer, but as I have dodgy knees there's always plenty of ice packs to hand, hardly even bruised in the end! Instead of all that I had a bit of rejigging as I realised my levels were a bit squint (though, even before I adjusted them, much less than the original location of the thing had been), and a warm glow followed by a glass of something suitable.

Since then I've dug the whole area over, removing acres of leylandii and hedge bindweed root, and this afternoon...

I'VE PLANTED IT!

Round behind the buddleia and the hypericum, where we adjoin the neighbour, I've put in some buckshee cotoneaster seedlings from the front hedge, which I know the birds love, and look stunning at this time of year. There's a Sarcococca for winter smelling, three hellebores, a pyracantha up the fence (I bought two, the other one is filling a gap in a hedge, given that it's prickly as duck), a Hydrangea paniculata "Lime Light" (I think the original suggestion might have been for a climbing one, but hey), a Mahonia I grew from a cutting, and a number of hardy geraniums. There's a few gaps that hopefullly will be filled in the spring when the local nursery gets perennials in again, oh, and I aded a few heartsease and a scarlet pimpernel that fell off the back of my allotment. Actually, the bed is self-contained enough that I wonder whether I should swipe some celandine in spring as well - out on the lottie it's exposed enough that the celandine is dying back by the time anything else can be sensibly planted - for the early bees.

Bulbs will go in when OIC Bulbs gets her act in gear.

Beer will be taken tonight. Huge thanks to everyone who gave me ideas, especially Obelixx!

Adrian

*How can a forum with a purple sperm smiley not have a drum roll smiley? I ask you!

pumkinlover:
Photos when established?

Obelixx:
Well done Gray.  I hope it all grows well for you.  Look forward to seeing some pics.

gray1720:
Oh yes, I won't be able to resist showing it off (and the garden). OIC Bulbs reminds me she put them in yesterday arvo, BTW.

I suspect there will be some creative weed management going on ie if it's pretty, it stays! I've already swiped a fox & cubs from the green next to us, before the council mow it off, to go in the wildflower corner of the lawn. Must put the ivy down as well...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version